U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM

238 posts, read 1,831,543 times

Advertisements

We're currently in underwriting for our first house (FHA, in NY). I've been hearing some conflicting information as to what comes next.

Assuming the underwriter is agreeable, should we expect a loan committment letter, or a straight up loan approval? I'm not entirely sure what the difference is.

Just to be clear about what I'm asking, here's a timeline of where we are in the process:

Met with loan officer and got a pre-approval --> Searched for homes for about 2 months with my realtor --> Found the house, put in an offer, and it was accepted --> Had the home inspected, clean bill of health --> Had contracts drawn up by the lawyers, signed by us and the seller with terms we agreed upon --> Gave down payment to be held in escrow --> Met with loan officer to sign all loan disclosure paperwork and provide most up-to-date paystubs, statements, etc. --> Lender ordered home appraisal, came back at the purchase price --> Again provided up-to-date docs via email --> Loan processor informed me that she has completed our loan package to now present to the underwriter --> Now...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM

20,621 posts, read 20,211,872 times
What will happen now is the underwriter should approve your loan with conditions within a few days. Your loan officer will then work on all the conditions, so you will be clear to close. An example loan condition would be obtaining a VOE (verification of employment). This takes the most time in the loan process.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
What will happen now is the underwriter should approve your loan with conditions within a few days. Your loan officer will then work on all the conditions, so you will be clear to close.
So is the "loan commitment" just a conditional approval which would be followed by a final approval assuming those conditions are met?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
An example loan condition would be obtaining a VOE (verification of employment). This takes the most time in the loan process.
This has already been done.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM

3,806 posts, read 8,253,264 times
Again, fewer and fewer lenders issue actual Commitment Letters any more. There is too much danger of legal exposure. Lots of banks, and brokers, have Final Review of ALL of the conditions, and THEN the file goes to a Compliance officer for another once-over, and then sometimes it even goes to the investor for review, then they draw closing docs.

There is usually zero time between true Final Approval and Doc Draw. Your closing documents, to wit, are the Commitment.

I don't know everything about all banks, but I also don't know of any banks issuing true, binding Commitment Letters today.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
So is the "loan commitment" just a conditional approval which would be followed by a final approval assuming those conditions are met?
It is a legally binding and formal document from the lender basically saying your loan has been approved based on these conditions. Once the loan officer clears all these conditions, he/she will send them to the lender and their underwriter will go over them and if everything is there, your loan will be clear to close, docs can be ordered, the notary can be scheduled etc.

So, your loan has been approved, but all the conditions need to be satisfied before you can close.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
This has already been done.
I just realized I might have been a bit confusing when I said, "this takes the most time in the loan process." I didn't specifically mean the VOE, I meant clearing all the conditions.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Update: We received our Loan Commitment two days ago!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Update: Cleared to close!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 63,282 times
Jealous! Got our comitment letter same day as you. Waiting on our clear to close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or