Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 17,441 times

Advertisements

I am putting 30% down on a conventional 30 year mortgage. Excellent credit etc. I prefer to pay my homeowners insurance and taxes directly myself and have done that on my past houses. This time I am being told there is a .25% charge if I don't want prepaids and a reserve account set up. This will cost me roughly 450.00 additional closing cost. I was told this is now a FNMA, FMAC requirement now. I have to pay more, so they can do less???? I never had to pay for this in the past. Is this really a new requirement or is my lender just tacking on an extra charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
We also opted not to put our homeowner's insurance and property taxes into escrow and got hit with a charge as well (this was 2 years ago). I doubt it's a requirement - officially I think they (the mortgage/bank people) said it's to cover risk of us not paying but to me, it seems like it is just really just a way for the bank to make money off you since they won't get the extra interest off your escrow account. I could be wrong of course, but that's the way I saw it. I don't think a credit union would charge you that fee so I doubt it's a "requirement" but I would stand corrected if it's true!

Personally, I'm wondering if we'll have to pay that fee again if we refinance.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Escrow requirements varies from lender to lender. Most require escrow if LTV is more than 80%. It is also not out of the ordinary that they charge you a fee if you decide to waive escrow up front. I see this requirement for a credit union that I uses (Penfed). I've seen some with a slightly higher rate when escrow is waived.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
It does vary. I've worked at half a dozen banks that do, but the one I am at now does not - - meaning, the cost is negligible and we eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages