Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,729 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am very protective over my parents and while I personally am completely new to mortgages, $7685 closing costs seem high to me for a house that sells for $112,900. This a conventional loan, property (2 bdrm house) is located in western Pa, and they have good credit (credit scores 760 and 825, current low living expenses under $600/month, $28,000 combined income).

This was sent to us through a mortgage broker that the realtor knows. If you could please look it over and tell us if these closing expenses are too high (I am personally wondering if the broker's Origination and Processing fees are too high). Did she find them a great interest rate? Do they even need a mortgage broker?

My parents are good people, the type who worry more about making too low an offer for risk of offending the home owner, so your help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Are these closing costs high?-fees.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
They are closer to $6000 due to the Lender Credit - which may or may not still be available. Still, they seem to be about $1000 high to me.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM

49 posts, read 92,330 times
Loan origination seems high, but hard to say since we don't know property specifics. I'd recommend asking them to breakdown the origination fee.

Also get gfe from more than one lender and compare everything. You are under no contract with a broker or bank until you sign papers.

FYI you also are getting a lot of lender credit for that rate. See if the rate can be lowered unless your parents need the credit to reduce the closing costs.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
They are closer to $6000 due to the Lender Credit - which may or may not still be available. Still, they seem to be about $1000 high to me.
They're even lower than that because the seller will have to credit taxes from Jan 1 through the day of closing. The lender is collecting 10 months, but your parents won't be in the house 10 months before they're do in full. The seller has to pay their share.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,410 times
Should be 3-5K depending on where you go based on that loan amount- the smaller loans like your parents net less amounts for the broker and banks...

Brokers will increase their compensation plans which will increase your closing cost to make up for the smaller loan amount-

If any questions email me if you need a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages