U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,937,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc2013 View Post
I see this as a big advantage and was part of my thinking. If I lose my job or something, late on payments, only I would take the credit hit.

Not having her on the mortgage would offer us some credit protection. We would also be able to use her name for any future purchases(ie investment property).

Thanks for the responses
That's a good way of thinking. You can also use who ever hast he better credit for cars, credit cards, etc.

To protect the other person, maybe look into adding them to deed. That may not be necessary if you are married. If you were to die, then she would get your assets, I'm thinking.

I'm not a lawyer, I just play one online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:05 PM

14,339 posts, read 17,561,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
That's a good way of thinking. You can also use who ever hast he better credit for cars, credit cards, etc.

To protect the other person, maybe look into adding them to deed. That may not be necessary if you are married. If you were to die, then she would get your assets, I'm thinking.

I'm not a lawyer, I just play one online.
WRONG. Depends on the state. Depends on whether or not there is a valid will.

Get a lawyer. It's almost ALWAYS a terrible idea to add another person to the deed unless they are also on the mortgage.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,937,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
WRONG. Depends on the state. Depends on whether or not there is a valid will.

Get a lawyer. It's almost ALWAYS a terrible idea to add another person to the deed unless they are also on the mortgage.
Thanks for the 2 cents. Like I said, I wasn't sure.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 AM

42,289 posts, read 49,879,075 times
I don't understand why you'd put someone on the title who wasn't on the mortgage.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 AM

8,366 posts, read 12,084,062 times
Quote:
It's almost ALWAYS a terrible idea to add another person to the deed unless they are also on the mortgage.
Terrible idea for whom? Not being snarky, just asking. My husband and I bought a house. His name is the only one on the loan because I am a SAHM with little income plus I own a condo in my name (not his) that would have added more debt to the picture. In other words, it made more sense for him to apply for the loan on his own than for both of us to do it.

On the other hand, the house is in both of our names. It is our house, not just his. The money we used to buy the home (downpayment) probably primarily came from my income when I was working anyway. And I gave up my job to help support our family in ways other than income. So it really belongs to both of us. But we may not have qualified for the loan had we put my name on it, so we didn't.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 PM

14,339 posts, read 17,561,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Terrible idea for whom? Not being snarky, just asking. My husband and I bought a house. His name is the only one on the loan because I am a SAHM with little income plus I own a condo in my name (not his) that would have added more debt to the picture. In other words, it made more sense for him to apply for the loan on his own than for both of us to do it.

On the other hand, the house is in both of our names. It is our house, not just his. The money we used to buy the home (downpayment) probably primarily came from my income when I was working anyway. And I gave up my job to help support our family in ways other than income. So it really belongs to both of us. But we may not have qualified for the loan had we put my name on it, so we didn't.
michgc, you would (IMO) fit one of the situations where the FAIR and RIGHT thing to do would be exactly what you have done. Your financial contribution was the down payment. That entitles you (IMO) to your name on the deed, to protect what you have invested into the home. (That said, if I had been your husband, I would have tried to get your name on the loan as well.)

And note that I said ALMOST always. There are certainly exceptions in certain situations, like yours.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM

8,366 posts, read 12,084,062 times
Quote:
michgc, you would (IMO) fit one of the situations where the FAIR and RIGHT thing to do would be exactly what you have done. Your financial contribution was the down payment. That entitles you (IMO) to your name on the deed, to protect what you have invested into the home. (That said, if I had been your husband, I would have tried to get your name on the loan as well.)

And note that I said ALMOST always. There are certainly exceptions in certain situations, like yours.
So you are saying it's almost always a bad idea for the person whose name is on the loan to also have someone else's name on the deed. But it's good for the person not on the loan but on the deed. I gotcha and understand.

For us, we were in a situation where we wanted to buy a home (here in NC) before we sold our old home (in VA), so we were really, really tight with the debt to income ratio. We were going to do our loan together as we did in the past, but our mortgage broker friend is the one who suggested we not put my name on the loan because I was basically adding more debt but very little income. Plus, time was of the essence so it was fewer papers that we needed to submit (condo fees, etc.). So it made more sense to do it that way.

Our money is truly co-mingled, though. Early in our marriage, we had equal incomes but I had much bigger savings that allowed us to buy our first home. Now, I have very little income, while he has a solid income. But I am the money manager and saver in our household, who manages all of our investments, such as college and retirement. I'd have a lot less without him, but he'd probably have a lot less without me, too, so we balance each other out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages