U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM
 
248 posts, read 519,043 times
Reputation: 181

Advertisements

So what happens if you changed your job after you received a conditional approval for your loan?

My ratios were affected as follows:
DTI (PITI/monthly gross income)
Exclude old & new job: 30%
With old job: 19.5%
with new job: 20.5%

Total DTI (incl. Student loan payments)
Exclude old & new job: 40%
With old job: 25.9%
With new job: 27%

Loan is currently with the underwriter and I am losing my sleep over this.

Few more details:
2 borrowers. 1st borrower: 5yr job history. 2nd borrower: 12yr job history on a part time position and recently changed the full time job less than a month ago. (Had 5yr exp at the old job)

Biggest issue being that the old job was permanent and the new job is contract based with strong possibilities of it being extended. Unfortunately the written contract is only through the end of this year.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Reputation: 22118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post

Biggest issue being that the old job was permanent and the new job is contract based with strong possibilities of it being extended. Unfortunately the written contract is only through the end of this year.
There's your problem. they other borrower doesn't have a job anymore. They are a temp. At least, that's the way the underwriter will see it.

Can you qualify without that income? Probably not, given the ratios you included in your post.

Do you have to tell the underwriter? Yes, because they are going to ask for pay stubs just before you close. Yes, because you're going to sign something that says there have been no material changes in employment.

I suspect you've blown the mortgage. I'm sorry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 05:29 PM
 
248 posts, read 519,043 times
Reputation: 181
Most common ratios I see are 28/36. I am only slightly over them if I completely exclude the new job.

Can a seller terminate the contract if they find out that one of us lost our job? Or do they pretty much have to wait until closing date?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Austin
7,077 posts, read 16,885,085 times
Reputation: 9484
A seller can't terminate a contract before they "think" you can't obtain financing. You need to tell the mortgage people ASAP about your situation and hope that you don't find out at the last minute you don't qualify. That's rude to the sellers, and you're going to lose your earnest money if you're outside the dates of the initial approval.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 PM
 
248 posts, read 519,043 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
A seller can't terminate a contract before they "think" you can't obtain financing. You need to tell the mortgage people ASAP about your situation and hope that you don't find out at the last minute you don't qualify. That's rude to the sellers, and you're going to lose your earnest money if you're outside the dates of the initial approval.
We passed the initial mortgage date which was july 31st. Closing is Aug 29th.

We already informed the broker of this change and she is trying to figure out a way to resolve this issue. Can they keep the earnest money if I get denied due to a job change? I mean it wasn't a voluntary change from our end.

I said I will secure a mortgage a month in advance but is that really set in stone? Should I ask them to extend if they bring it up and if not then just assume I have til the end of August to resolve everything?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Austin
7,077 posts, read 16,885,085 times
Reputation: 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
We passed the initial mortgage date which was july 31st. Closing is Aug 29th.

We already informed the broker of this change and she is trying to figure out a way to resolve this issue. Can they keep the earnest money if I get denied due to a job change? I mean it wasn't a voluntary change from our end.

I said I will secure a mortgage a month in advance but is that really set in stone? Should I ask them to extend if they bring it up and if not then just assume I have til the end of August to resolve everything?
You're going to need to read your contract and ask your agent, but in Texas, if you've passed your financing date for approval, the earnest money will go to the seller. Doesn't matter if it's your fault or not. In my area, the only way you would get your earnest money past that date (beyond other contract contingencies) is if the house itself prevented you from a mortgage like title or survey issues.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top