U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 PM

118 posts, read 379,781 times

Advertisements

I hope I can get some sort of insight.

I'll try to keep it short, but I think a little bit of background info might be needed.

Dad wants to buy a house, and lease it out to me. The house he wants to buy is about 2miles near his current home. We were told he needs to get an "investor loan" because it is so close to his current house plus he would not live in it.

This house we want to buy is owned free and clear by the current home owner. However, he was in the process of renovating, ran out of money so there are unfinished projects around the home. Moulding, paint, flooring, and the hall bath was "gutted"(the toilet, tub and sink are missing but walls are still up).
I realized it sounds like a lot but the house has been VERY VERY well maintained believe it or not. The owner actually showed us the house and told us that the reason it was not finished was because he bounced around from project to project(due to boredom), and if he had stuck with one room at a time he would have had it done.

Good things going for the house are energy efficient windows, new roof, HVAC and water heater around 5-6 yrs old. The flooring has been completely sanded and prepped waiting for whatever flooring is decided on.

He wants to sell as is.

Being this is an investors loan, would the bathroom cause problems getting financed? Homes in the are are selling for more than what he's asking.

Im calling the credit union tomorrow to know for sure... but would like some insight as to what would stop them from financing the home for an investors loan...?

I was thinking that being an investor loan, the bank knows Dad wont be living in it, so would they be strict about not having a usable bathroom at the moment?

I know my dad, nor would I let him,risk making repairs on a home that is not his, pending financing approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM

118 posts, read 379,781 times
PS home in Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or