U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 PM

126 posts, read 156,707 times

Advertisements

I've had a credit card for a year and used and paid it off in full each month. I've been wanting to buy a house before the prices and interest rates go up. I recently joined the credit union hoping it would be easier to get a mortgage, so I opened a credit card with them Friday. I mentioned I was trying to build my credit to buy a house and they mentioned they look for three tradelines with 12 months each.

I was really hoping they would be a bit more lenient, as when I talked to them on the phone that I was wanting to buy my first house they did not mention that at all in their requirements, only the score. I guess I didn't ask for the "fine print" so to speak.

So now, to be honest, I'm quite bummed, even though I realize this is my fault, and I don't know what to do. I understand why Fannie and Freddie have these requirements, but it's still disappointing.

Since it seems there is no way to just get a mortgage without them, what do you suggest is the fastest way to satisfy these requirements? I realize it will be 6 months before this new card shows on my credit, and even after it's on there for a year (which I am guessing will be 18 months from now), I will still only have two tradelines. Should I try to open another line of credit, such as a secured loan or another card now, or do I need to wait 6 months from now? Then it would be another 36 months before I could possibly qualify for a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM

3,317 posts, read 7,253,255 times
Use a bank that does not have tradeline requirements. Such as mine.......

Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM

126 posts, read 156,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Use a bank that does not have tradeline requirements. Such as mine.......
Which ones? Are there really any banks in 2013 that don't have tradeline requirements? Everything I read online seems to be no. I just don't see how a bank can loan money without them?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM

3,317 posts, read 7,253,255 times
Yes. As I said, my bank, for whom I am A national Loan Officer, does not have any tradeline requirements. Credit score, yes, but no tradeline requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages