U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 PM

667 posts, read 879,569 times

Advertisements

The US is filled with people who abuse the systems we have.
I know a person who planned to file for bankruptcy and has now filed. Just waiting for the approval, I guess.
By "planned" I mean buying all kinds of tangibles on his credit card. He knows he's getting laid off from his job soon.
He thinks its funny, pats himself on the back and has the guts to think he deserves to rip others off in this way.
I think its pretty low myself. All it does is make things worse for those of us who work and struggle to make ends meet.
What do you think? Should I do or say anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM

193 posts, read 339,500 times
I know a couple who did the same thing...said how it was a load off them...easier to sleep at night...managed to tap their credit cards out buying stuff they wanted...a year out from bankruptcy they were excited to get another credit card....now 3 years after bankruptcy they're broke again. It'll never end for them they'll always want more stuff. They shouldn't be broke they have a very good income but...ya just can't fix stupid.
Say nothing...not your place

Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 PM

"Say nothing...not your place."

Okay, but would you explain why in your opinion its not my place?
I'm not trying to start drama here, I just want to know why you think its not my place.
Who's place is it?
I'm not into this tattletale mode the gov wants us to be doing. But isn't there a moral obligation to do the right thing? Isn't this one of the big reasons our country is in such a mess, because no one said anything?
Just askin'
Thanks

Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM

7,598 posts, read 17,614,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
"Say nothing...not your place."

Okay, but would you explain why in your opinion its not my place?
I'm not trying to start drama here, I just want to know why you think its not my place.
Who's place is it?
I'm not into this tattletale mode the gov wants us to be doing. But isn't there a moral obligation to do the right thing? Isn't this one of the big reasons our country is in such a mess, because no one said anything?
Just askin'
Thanks
Congrats......one by one, the sick and disgusted are going to be the ones that make it clear to the abusive, it must stop. I am of the opinion it doesn't really matter whether you vent on a public forum, rant about this situation to your kids, email a BK judge in your jurisdiction or get into these individuals faces and make it clear that this is not acceptable behavior and is taking a free ride on fellow tax payers.

Not finding a way to speak up about it is about the same as saying it's okay and we all have to stop doing that. We need to find our voices, in whatever way, to let people know this isn't cute and should not be admired.

Just answerin'

Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,643,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfan View Post
I know a couple who did the same thing...said how it was a load off them...easier to sleep at night...managed to tap their credit cards out buying stuff they wanted...a year out from bankruptcy they were excited to get another credit card....now 3 years after bankruptcy they're broke again. It'll never end for them they'll always want more stuff. They shouldn't be broke they have a very good income but...ya just can't fix stupid.
Say nothing...not your place
That happens all the time. I did debt consolidation home equity loans and the same customers came back every two years or so with their credit cards maxed out again. I'd pull their old file and think, "Jeez lady, what are you thinking?!"

And no, I didn't feel good about it either. I really did want them to get out of debt - they were drowning in their overspending. These were educated people with kids and stable jobs in a middle class community. But they still spent like crackheads on a bender.

I've seen people with $135,000 in credit cards racked up over less than 3 years...and nothing to show for it. They weren't worried at all because they thought their house would increase in value that fast forever. Then "POP!!" goes the housing bubble.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,783,139 times
The O.P. states:
"I'm not into this tattletale mode the gov wants us to be doing."

What on earth are you talking about?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM

144 posts, read 287,982 times
Well, as part of usual bankruptcy terms you are not allowed to go wrack up a bunch of debt and then just file. It is up to the trustee and the creditors to call these people out. Typically, any large purchases that are made on credit cards 3 months prior to filing for bankruptcy are scruntinzed. The credit card companies are responsible for showing up at the 341 meetings and/or disputing charges. If charges like this are found, then they are usually disallowed and must be repaid. However, most of the credit card companies are just either 1. swamped and no time to go after the debt or 2. just write it off ... also, it depends on how detailed the trustee is. Another rule is you typically aren't supposed to do any sort of balance transfers within 6 months of filing on your credit cards as well.

So, there are technically rules in place to prevent this sort of thing from happening and something called a "presumption of abuse" which the trustee is supposed to determine if you are filing in an effort to fraud the system.

Now, are there cases that squeak by? Of course... but you can find evidence of this everywhere in the US. Reckless driving, how you do your taxes, finding "loopholes" to gain an advantage.

While I don't agree with going out and buying luxury items just to purposefully file for bankruptcy months afterward, there are some circumstances where obtaining necessities before filing is allowable.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,403,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
The US is filled with people who abuse the systems we have.
I know a person who planned to file for bankruptcy and has now filed. Just waiting for the approval, I guess.
By "planned" I mean buying all kinds of tangibles on his credit card. He knows he's getting laid off from his job soon.
He thinks its funny, pats himself on the back and has the guts to think he deserves to rip others off in this way.
I think its pretty low myself. All it does is make things worse for those of us who work and struggle to make ends meet.
What do you think? Should I do or say anything?
I think it's none of your business, you have some weird emotional thing going on here and making posts on the internet is pointless. Those companies he's shorting are far from angels. They locate in a few states with few consumer protection laws so they can screw people. They fight tooth and nail to stop even basic laws that might even notify people of the true cost of their debt. Check your 20 pages of terms on any credit card. They can raise your rates even if you pay on time.

He's not ripping others off. The creditors know this is a possibility and it's just a cost of doing business to them. Their rates wouldn't be lower without it.

It doesn't make things worse at all for you. The credit card companies would be screwing people over just as much without the possibility of bankruptcy. They destroy a lot of lives. Your friend doesn't. Instead of being worried about other people, maybe you could look at yourself, reflect on past choices and see what you could do education/training wise to better your lot.

Incidentally, bankrupcy laws were changed in the 2000's. They greatly limited how regular folks like yourself could use it. Did they make it any harder for big corporations to walk away from debt? No, of course not. They just preyed on the emotions of the meek and big business got its way without any additional accountability on their end.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The O.P. states:
"I'm not into this tattletale mode the gov wants us to be doing."

What on earth are you talking about?
Here is just one example of the snitch program:
Eye of Polyphemus: Obama's Snitch on Your Neighbor Program

Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I think it's none of your business, you have some weird emotional thing going on here and making posts on the internet is pointless.

Incidentally, bankrupcy laws were changed in the 2000's. They greatly limited how regular folks like yourself could use it. Did they make it any harder for big corporations to walk away from debt? No, of course not. They just preyed on the emotions of the meek and big business got its way without any additional accountability on their end.
I highly doubt if my asking a question on this forum can be considered as "having some weird emotional thing on here making posts on the internet."

I do see the point you have raised. However, that's not my way of thinking.
I don't give in to doing wrong just because it's expected of me. The corporations know they will be cheated so I may as well go ahead and cheat them?
Your view is precisely what I'm talking about in what helped to make the country do a spiral downward.
This mentallity of "Its All About ME" is precisely why we are sinking.
What's in it for ME? What about ME? Did you ever consider ME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages