Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,665 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Our house has been under contract for a little over 4 weeks and we have 2 weeks left until closing. The loan objection deadline was 9/12/13 and at 10:00 p.m. that night the Buyer's agent sent an amend to extend - they need to move the loan objection deadline to 9/20. The Buyer's agent said it was because the Buyer found a lender that could offer them a better deal. We signed the amend to extend because if we didn't the contract would terminate (they also sent a termination form in the event we didn't sign).

They are doing an FHA, already had the appraisal done, and as I mentioned we are only 2 weeks from closing. Is it common for Buyer's to change lenders this close to closing? Should we be concerned?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Yes, you should be concerned. It's unlikely that a lender can get a mortgage from start to finish in two weeks. Essentially your buyer has gone back to square one in his application process.

The appraisal should not be a great problem as FHA appraisals are 100% portable for six months. That means any lender can use the same appraisal in its original form. However, it also means that lender one has to release it to lender 2 and lender 2 has to ask to have it released, which takes the right paperwork on the part of both.

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to close on time. But who knows,perhaps the buyer has been pre-approved by more than one lender and already has all his financials and other paperwork on file with lender 2. Then they might just be able to do it.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:26 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile You never know....

Lenders are doing much better with underwriting and meeting their closing deadlines. I'm a mortgage broker in Florida and I have seen improvement. It sure frees me up.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:37 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
We've been able to get loans done in 2 weeks without any issues, especially if the case number is being assigned. I would have recommended asking for evidence of a better quote. The markets have been fluctuating dramatically, so it's entirely possible the buyer is getting a better rate, and quite possibly, a lender credit to assist with costs.

But it's equally likely, the underwriter didn't like a particular calculation and the buyers withdrew instead of facing a decline. Has your agent contacted the first loan officer? You know, the one that provided a letter that accompanied their offer? It's amazing what can be conveyed in just a tone of voice, without actually saying anything.

Your agent could have negotiated many things with the extension, proof of better quote, new letter from new lender, the ability to put it in contingent status with a kick out, an increased earnest money deposit. Maybe the two addendums with different options were done in hopes of having your agent forget all the available options.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
I bet there's more to it than allegedly getting a better deal. FHA rates are much closer, lender-to-lender, than Conventional rates. I bet something happened with the other lender's guidelines. Cross your fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages