U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM

399 posts, read 426,267 times

Advertisements

We're this close <-> to closing and have hit a snag. Let me try and explain this as succinctly as possible.

Everything has been going along fine. We're supposed to close on Friday. We were hoping to get our clear to close last Friday, but when the processor sent our September bank statement to the underwriter, one page was skipped and the underwriter kicked the file back. The loan officer immediately caught the problem, went to the processor's desk (she was off Friday) found the missing page and sent it to the underwriter (who had gone home for the day). Yesterday, the underwriter hopped back on the file hoping to clear it yesterday and then noticed that the employment verification expired yesterday. She should have caught it on Friday and said something when she kicked the file back, but she didn't and yesterday was a Federal holiday (my husband is a federal employee) and he was initially unable to get to work to send another one (they use a website to send employment verifications where ever the employee requests called My Biz).

Yesterday afternoon, he was able to get into the building to send the employment verification, sent it over and last night we noticed that it for some strange reason has his status listed as "surviving spouse." The Department of Defense REALIZES it's a mistake, but they can do nothing but open a ticket and have someone look at it. No telling how long that's going to take because with all the rest of this mess going on, it's just not high on the prioritization totem pole. The underwriter has kicked it back saying they know it's a problem, but they need it fixed before they can proceed.

This is the only thing holding us up and no one seems to know what can be done to fix it and the DoD is unwilling (or unable) to fix it immediately. I realize at this point that if we don't close, our earnest money belongs to someone other than us, but we've put notice in on our condo, it's already rented out so we have to be out of here on the 1st.

Someone have any thoughts? Any ideas? Anything at all???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM

103 posts, read 240,594 times
it's not very common and some people would advise against, but maybe you can rent the place you are buying from the seller until you close.

I had a client that did this and it worked out fine.

Best to seek legal advise, but maybe could be an option for you.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitylove View Post
it's not very common and some people would advise against, but maybe you can rent the place you are buying from the seller until you close.

I had a client that did this and it worked out fine.

Best to seek legal advise, but maybe could be an option for you.
Our agent said that he would look into it, but quite honestly he said he would be VERY uncomfortable with the idea if Wells Fargo couldn't give them without absolute uncertainty word that this loan WILL close.

Regarding the computer problem, the Department of Defense is now saying this issue is world wide. They ran employment verifications on everyone in the office, including their enlisted employees and they're all stating surviving spouse.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,542,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
We're this close <-> to closing and have hit a snag. Let me try and explain this as succinctly as possible.

Everything has been going along fine. We're supposed to close on Friday. We were hoping to get our clear to close last Friday, but when the processor sent our September bank statement to the underwriter, one page was skipped and the underwriter kicked the file back. The loan officer immediately caught the problem, went to the processor's desk (she was off Friday) found the missing page and sent it to the underwriter (who had gone home for the day). Yesterday, the underwriter hopped back on the file hoping to clear it yesterday and then noticed that the employment verification expired yesterday. She should have caught it on Friday and said something when she kicked the file back, but she didn't and yesterday was a Federal holiday (my husband is a federal employee) and he was initially unable to get to work to send another one (they use a website to send employment verifications where ever the employee requests called My Biz).

Yesterday afternoon, he was able to get into the building to send the employment verification, sent it over and last night we noticed that it for some strange reason has his status listed as "surviving spouse." The Department of Defense REALIZES it's a mistake, but they can do nothing but open a ticket and have someone look at it. No telling how long that's going to take because with all the rest of this mess going on, it's just not high on the prioritization totem pole. The underwriter has kicked it back saying they know it's a problem, but they need it fixed before they can proceed.

This is the only thing holding us up and no one seems to know what can be done to fix it and the DoD is unwilling (or unable) to fix it immediately. I realize at this point that if we don't close, our earnest money belongs to someone other than us, but we've put notice in on our condo, it's already rented out so we have to be out of here on the 1st.

Someone have any thoughts? Any ideas? Anything at all???
See if there is ANYONE at the DOD who is your husband's superior who could fill out a Verification of Employment by hand.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM

is it a "verbal" VOE or a "full" VOE?
voe= verification of employement

Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM

469 posts, read 875,631 times
next time; pay cash!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
next time; pay cash!
I'll remember that the next time we have a spare 6 figures hanging around the house. Perhaps you can lend it to us?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
My guess it's a full VOE. They're trying to get in touch with someone to see if a verbal will suffice, but the military also doesn't like to do anything verbally. There's a proper channel for everything.

We supplied one that had everything, title, pay, hire date, location, etc., but that was (now) 12 days ago and apparently, they need one less than 10 days old. We're supposed to close Friday.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 PM

39,003 posts, read 37,656,456 times
Unfortunately, it looks like you've been caught in the perfect storm of not only government inefficiency but MILITARY government inefficiency combined a software error and topped off with the shutdown.

I feel for you.

I agree that the best option is for your husband to continue to walk it up to real people who might actually be able to push this through by hand for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or