U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,958,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
This is what I am trying to figure out - what numbers OP used to come up with this calculations and savings towards principle ($25K within 5 years).
I played with some numbers and don't see any significant difference in savings between 5/1 arm and 30 year fixed for example. If OP has extra $$ to pay towards principle each month on top of regular payment for lets say 30 year fix, it makes more sense.
I didn't try to figure out their math, but I just took their word for it. I don't know what numbers you are using either . These numbers work.
This is not a quote : 500k loan 3.0%for 5/1 ARM a 4.25 for a fixed 30. Match the payments will yield over $6000 a year in principal difference.

Balance left after 60 months 454k versus 421k?
Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,111,041 times
That's why I asked for mortgage amount in the first place.
There are 2 important things to consider for future refinancing - 1) $$ needed for refinancing and 2) interest rate at that time. it might increase (or not) and you will be paying way more compare to fix rate payments in today's conditions.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
The scenario: I get an 5/1 ARM with a low rate and therefore a lower payment. Since the payment is lower, I am able to put extra money towards the principal of the home each month, and after 5 years I will have been able to put maybe around $25,000 extra into the principal. At that point I can see how much my payment jumps up (if it doesn't jump by much I can continue this process), or if the payment increases too much I refinance into a fixed rate.

What am I missing about this scenario, would this work? It seems like this would be an easy way to get more money into the principal, but also leave me with a cushion just in case something happens to me financially that I technically do have a lower payment for 5 years.
Let's say you saved $30,000 over the next 5 years, but then the adjustable rates become higher than the fixed rate loans. Let's say that your fixed rate is at 6%, how long would it be before your new loan balance matchs the balance if you would have just taken the fixed 4.5 rate today if you match payments with the higher rate loan with the number I used earlier, there'd be payment now of around $2700. In about another 5 years the original loan then become a better option. Your loan balance would be about the same but now you'd have a $250 lower payment.

It become a crazy speculations numbers game.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM

4,146 posts, read 8,436,901 times
If you want to look at ARM, look for lender that offer something 5/5 ARM. Rate could be very competitive. I am aware of a credit union now that offer 5/5 at 2.75%. That is the same rate as their current 5/1 offering. Worse case scenario would be 4.75 at year 6 and 5.75 at year 11.

The disadvantage of this over 5/1 is that interests rate at year 6 is crucial as it sets the rate for the next 5 years.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM

75 posts, read 218,753 times
the rate will increase in 5yrs.... rates are artificially low right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or