U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744

Advertisements

Buyer had a USDA loan. Buyer said she would go ahead and move into my home and pay rent until closing since closing had been delayed because of the government shutdown. This way she could go ahead and move in and I could stop paying on 2 places so it was a win-win for both of us.

Buyer moved in on Oct 14 and closing was at 4pm Oct 30. Would she pay rent for 16 days or 17 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 2,492,870 times
Reputation: 6999
Since it closed so late in the day, I'd say the latter, but I personally wouldn't sweat one day of rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744
Thanks breeinmo. I find it almost laughable that she is asking for this after closing. I charged her rent for 17 days.

She had paid me 1 month of rent but ended up closing sooner. Therefore I sent her (via FedX to the closing attorney) a check for the remaining days she ended up not renting. I charged her for 17 days so sent her a check for the remaining days of the month.

Closing was this past Wednesday and a couple of hours ago I get an email from my realtor telling me the buyer and her realtor say they don't agree with the 17 days and that I owe her for one day. lol My realtor said she was going to meet up with my buyer and go ahead and pay her out of her own money.

I told my realtor that I would pay it if I owed it but I don't and I asked her not to pay it. I don't owe it so why pay it?

I paid mortgage and interest for that day. House was still in my name on Oct 30th and I agree about the lateness in the day that it closed. My realtor can pay her if she wants but I honestly don't feel she should so that's up to her. I asked her not to. I feel bad that she is but that's on her because if up to me, I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times
Reputation: 5219
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks breeinmo. I find it almost laughable that she is asking for this after closing. I charged her rent for 17 days.

She had paid me 1 month of rent but ended up closing sooner. Therefore I sent her (via FedX to the closing attorney) a check for the remaining days she ended up not renting. I charged her for 17 days so sent her a check for the remaining days of the month.

Closing was this past Wednesday and a couple of hours ago I get an email from my realtor telling me the buyer and her realtor say they don't agree with the 17 days and that I owe her for one day. lol My realtor said she was going to meet up with my buyer and go ahead and pay her out of her own money.

I told my realtor that I would pay it if I owed it but I don't and I asked her not to pay it. I don't owe it so why pay it?

I paid mortgage and interest for that day. House was still in my name on Oct 30th and I agree about the lateness in the day that it closed. My realtor can pay her if she wants but I honestly don't feel she should so that's up to her. I asked her not to. I feel bad that she is but that's on her because if up to me, I wouldn't.
How much was the rent for the month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744
I don't feel the amount should have anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
7,598 posts, read 17,618,792 times
Reputation: 8078
Personal opinion, if closing was at 4, the buyer didn't finish until 5 -6 PM, giving her 6, maybe 7 hours in the home, with probably one hour of daylight. She paid principal and interest for that day, too. She's low income or she wouldn't get in the program. And makes me conclude this is not a whole lot of money. I don't have many problems that a few dollars can cure. I would refund her the one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Personal opinion, if closing was at 4, the buyer didn't finish until 5 -6 PM, giving her 6, maybe 7 hours in the home, with probably one hour of daylight. She paid principal and interest for that day, too. She's low income or she wouldn't get in the program. And makes me conclude this is not a whole lot of money. I don't have many problems that a few dollars can cure. I would refund her the one day.
The day started at 12am. She had the home for the majority of the day. I just think it funny that she is bothering with this one day. She isn't as low income as you would think. She has a great job with a very good company and makes good money.

When agreeing to pay rent she also set the rate. She wasn't even covering my whole mortgage. I pretty much gave in to most of her demands and don't feel I should give in on this last one. Sure, it's not THAT much money but still, I'm done giving in. I just wanted to hear others views so thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 01:13 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times
Reputation: 5219
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
The day started at 12am. She had the home for the majority of the day. I just think it funny that she is bothering with this one day. She isn't as low income as you would think. She has a great job with a very good company and makes good money.

When agreeing to pay rent she also set the rate. She wasn't even covering my whole mortgage. I pretty much gave in to most of her demands and don't feel I should give in on this last one. Sure, it's not THAT much money but still, I'm done giving in. I just wanted to hear others views so thanks for sharing your thoughts.
She didn't set the rate. You did. If you didn't like the rate, you could have cut her loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744
Like I said, I agreed to most of her demands. I had to if I wanted to sell her my house. She knew this so made demands of what would make her want to proceed with the sale. This last request, I feel I don't need to give in to her. I personally feel the home is closed, she owed rent for the 17 days and all is well.

I'm sure all won't agree but that's fine. I still enjoy hearing others views. I'm willing to change my thoughts on this but have yet to hear a good reason why I need to pay her for this last day she is requesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Mount Laurel
4,146 posts, read 8,378,442 times
Reputation: 3409
I would just pay it and move on.

Property sold and closed. Now just a issue of one day. Your realtor had the right idea. Just pay out of pocket to move along. People have better things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top