Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 43,862 times

Advertisements

Here is our situation: We are looking at buying a duplex. As I understand there are two loans, one for a house you live in and one for a rental property that your purchase. In order to get a loan that we can afford we have to plan on moving in one of the units. The lower unit has a one year lease and when it is up we will be moving in. The upper has a six month lease and we will rent it out again when they move out.

Is it legal to get the loan now, purchase the duplex and move in a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Ask your loan person if you will need to sign an affidavit of occupancy, if so ,read it , it should answer your question. What has your loan person told you about doing it, surely they know the situation.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,083 times
It is legal to get the loan now and move in later but you must purchase the property as a investment loan and not a primary residence loan. The investment loan would require larger downpayment and the rate will be higher.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Ask your loan person if you will need to sign an affidavit of occupancy, if so ,read it , it should answer your question. What has your loan person told you about doing it, surely they know the situation.
She said we have to move in within 60 days, however she also said nobody will notice if we do not. I am wondering about the potential consequences and legality if we do that.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyskywalker View Post
She said we have to move in within 60 days, however she also said nobody will notice if we do not. I am wondering about the potential consequences and legality if we do that.
Is she able to do it, can I get her name and phone number? What state did you find this deal of a duplex?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Is she able to do it, can I get her name and phone number? What state did you find this deal of a duplex?
It's a company in Wisconsin that she works for. I assume she wouldn't be lying.

The other option is evict both tennants upon buying the duplex and just live in the lower and let our friend rent the upper. Would that be possible? And safer?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Here is our situation: We are looking at buying a duplex. As I understand there are two loans, one for a house you live in and one for a rental property that your purchase. In order to get a loan that we can afford we have to plan on moving in one of the units. The lower unit has a one year lease and when it is up we will be moving in. The upper has a six month lease and we will rent it out again when they move out.

Is it legal to get the loan now, purchase the duplex and move in a year?
It's one loan. It is mortgage fraud if you aren't moving in within 60 days and that is not something you want to mess with.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Yeah, I personally would not commit mortgage fraud, even if my lender told me "no one would notice".

If the current tenant is in a lease, which you indicated they are, you most likely can't evict them unless they violate their lease or don't pay rent.

The other option, and the right, legal one, is to get a non-owner occupied loan, which will be at a higher interest rate, and possibly a higher down payment. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't buy.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Quote:
Nothing like dealing with reputable people. You and her (I assume she is a loan officer) will be committing fraud, not that anyone will notice. I guess laws are only for people who obey them.

If of course this does not work out for you and you wind up in foreclosure you will probably blame the bank that gave you the loan.

I guess Diogenes gave up.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
It's a company in Wisconsin that she works for. I assume she wouldn't be lying.

The other option is evict both tennants upon buying the duplex and just live in the lower and let our friend rent the upper. Would that be possible? And safer?
I'm not sure why you think you need to evict both tenants. I am unfamiliar with local rules, is there any type of rent control? You can simply ask the tenants if they want to leave. There are certain aspect that a good real estate on both side might be able to help you with how to proceed. Do the tenants know the property is for sale, sign out front , inspections, etc. Is the seller in a rush to sell, is it a buyers or sellers market? You have some options a local pro might be able to help.

If you do go the route of renting to a friend, what will you do when they say they can pay the rent , are you going to let them live there for free?

Would you share with me the company she works for that does loan for duplexes in Wisconsin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages