U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM
 
24 posts, read 67,463 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

I have a call in to the attorney, of coarse he is in closings all day, so wont hear from them until tomorrow. I am on this forum to get a handle on what to do, so far I have been given great advice. I am just wanting to get a handle on things, my wheels have been spinning since January 22, I needed to have some sound advice thrown my way so I do appreciate whatever you can spare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Wake Forest, NY
613 posts, read 602,170 times
Reputation: 631
No. A good Attorney will take a break and return phone calls. Or call you back after he's finished with closings. A professional's day is not over until a clients phone call is returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Madison, AL
3,276 posts, read 4,646,384 times
Reputation: 2594
Holy cow....have you informed your Realtor what the lender he/she recommended is doing?

You need to.

If a lender EVER spoke to one of my client's in such a demeaning, disrespectful way I would probably make it a life mention to tell every person I knew exactly how that lender acted. Lenders depend on referrals, just as much as Realtors do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM
 
24 posts, read 67,463 times
Reputation: 20
OK, If the closing attorney was hired by the mortgage company, and I believe the mortgage/Planner is in this knee deep it would not be wise to seek help through them.... Would it?
I just have an awful feeling I might be going down a jaded path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM
 
24 posts, read 67,463 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Holy cow....have you informed your Realtor what the lender he/she recommended is doing?

You need to.

If a lender EVER spoke to one of my client's in such a demeaning, disrespectful way I would probably make it a life mention to tell every person I knew exactly how that lender acted. Lenders depend on referrals, just as much as Realtors do.


I have a call in to her as well, just waiting for her to call me. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM
 
3,282 posts, read 7,123,220 times
Reputation: 4016
Not every state is an Attorney State. Very few states have attorneys take part in the mortgage process or closings.

OP/CityOfCanton - are you in NJ? What state is the home in? ( I mean what state in America, not what condition)

If you had a 203k consultant that means that the work to be performed exceeded $28,500. If you can tell me/us the $amount of renovations, and give us a little more detail, I/we can offer you better advice than "get an attorney."

If you like, you can redact your personal info, and PM the 203k disclosures to me, this might have a more efficient solution than the court system. I'm also very interested in which lender you used. Thanks - keep your head up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,345 times
Reputation: 11
My response comes from a vast knowledge and understanding of the 203k. So, here it is.....

Based on the information known, the Contractor you selected appears to be in breach of contractor, but doubtful it's a fraud situation. Most likely, the contractor does not fully understand the unique nature of the 203k or there is some confusion regarding the scope of work.

That being said, just fire the contractor and hire a Certified 203k Contractor found on the 203k Contractor Directory website. Its very easy to do and if you need help, you can contact the 203k Help Desk for the 203k Contractor Program.

If this contractor is listed on that site and is Certified, that program can help with your situation.

Pursuing legal avenues now will only delay the renovation project and could place you in default on your mortgage loan because there are strict timelines that must be followed with the 203k. So, legal avenues won't necessarily help you to stay in compliance with FHA guidelines.

So, find a replacement contractor first and then pursue any legal avenues you want afterwards.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM
 
24 posts, read 67,463 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Not every state is an Attorney State. Very few states have attorneys take part in the mortgage process or closings.

OP/CityOfCanton - are you in NJ? What state is the home in? ( I mean what state in America, not what condition)

If you had a 203k consultant that means that the work to be performed exceeded $28,500. If you can tell me/us the $amount of renovations, and give us a little more detail, I/we can offer you better advice than "get an attorney."

If you like, you can redact your personal info, and PM the 203k disclosures to me, this might have a more efficient solution than the court system. I'm also very interested in which lender you used. Thanks - keep your head up!

We are in NC, the work write up was for over 100,000. the consultant brought his own contractor buddy to do the job, I do not know what info you want to see, I have a recap of the subtotal which is where we got the money allotted for the different jobs we had to have done, the same amount items 1-35 the contractor agreed to do then 8 days after signing the contract the contractor makes up his own contract and brushes off half the work and wants to entire amount of money anyway, even though he did not do 100% of the work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 PM
 
24 posts, read 67,463 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedub View Post
My response comes from a vast knowledge and understanding of the 203k. So, here it is.....

Based on the information known, the Contractor you selected appears to be in breach of contractor, but doubtful it's a fraud situation. Most likely, the contractor does not fully understand the unique nature of the 203k or there is some confusion regarding the scope of work.

That being said, just fire the contractor and hire a Certified 203k Contractor found on the 203k Contractor Directory website. Its very easy to do and if you need help, you can contact the 203k Help Desk for the 203k Contractor Program.

If this contractor is listed on that site and is Certified, that program can help with your situation.

Pursuing legal avenues now will only delay the renovation project and could place you in default on your mortgage loan because there are strict timelines that must be followed with the 203k. So, legal avenues won't necessarily help you to stay in compliance with FHA guidelines.

So, find a replacement contractor first and then pursue any legal avenues you want afterwards.
Good Luck!
it is a little to late to hire another contractor, wish we would have known this was going to happen earlier in the game but of coarse when you are hit beside the head you become a little stunned for a while. we have 7 days left before our 6 months is up, I think this was their plan to wait until it was too late to do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 05:58 PM
 
24 posts, read 67,463 times
Reputation: 20
I heard back from the Realtor and she is going to do some digging, she says she knew nothing about this. So I am hoping I can get some answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top