Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times

Advertisements

great points but you also need to see that

when someone puts 20% down....i doubt they have a prepayment penalty.
She would have been REALLY taken advantage of if she has one.

Credit inquiries count as 1 credit pull if all done within 30days.
1 credit inquiry can drop your score btwn 3-7 points ...depending on how many pulls you had lately. 3-7 points hardly makes or break a deal.

80% LTV will always give you the best interest rate.....even if your score is 620. (with no MAJOR derogatory)

I'm not sure what mortgage broker would say to pay 6.75% for a few months or yrs to 'season' your mortgage. That's throwing money away just because of 'seasoning'.

Building up equity wont affect the interest rate....when you're at 80 LTV..you will get the same rate as if you had 70% LTV.

Not sure where you have been hearing this from....

My recommendation is to start working with your current lender. Ask for a quote....you should get 30yr fixed 5.625% with today's rate. Second...find the attorney who did your closing...they will most likely offer discount rates for the closing fees and title insurance fees.
If your current lender isnt willing to offer the rate...the start shopping....but try to negotiate with the attorney for lower title costs.

The costs that I showed before is what normally a lender will charge.

After finding out the facts then make a decision to wait or to move forward.

One thing I always tell a customer is find out what it takes to be in the position of 'locking' an interest rate.

For example...your current lender may say the rate dropped to 5% but you cant lock because you need to provide w-2's, paystubs, etc...and also need an appraisal done, and the Underwriter will need to approve your loan...ETC. Then you will need to wait 3-4 days..and the rates may change at that point.

1. Rates change daily or hourly (depending on market)
2. Every lender may have a different lock policy. Some may require an appraisal done...some may not. Some may require you to be approved ...some may not.
3. Shop around....find out who's willing to win your business. You may find a broker who will be willing to cut costs just to fund an extra loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
I'd look and see if I could refinance with a 15 year mortgage at a lower rate. Your payment might be close to what you're paying now, but you'll have a heck of a lot more equity when you sell in five years.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM

actually the rate will be a lot lower (5.25%) but the payment will be $279.50 higher per month.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2south View Post
Yes rates have dropped yet again. I don't know who you have a mortgage with but before you consider refinancing consider the following:
  • Do you have a prepayment penalty? What is the percentage?
  • NC allows Co's to charge prepayment penalties, for mortgages above $150,000.
  • Do you know what the closing costs will be if you do refinance? Is is worth it?
  • Then there are all those credit inquiries, which will reduce your credit score?
I don't know what to tell you, but from talking to mortgage brokers lately, I'd stay put, let your mortgage "season", build up some equity, then pursue. But then again that's just from what i have been hearing, best to talk to your mortgage co., and see if they have options that won't cost you an arm and a leg, which I doubt they won't. Consider ourselves lucky you got a mortgage and congrats.
It certainly is not so bad that someone with 20% down should consider themselves lucky that they were approved for a mortgage. Low to no money down loans are still readily available for loan amounts up to $417k.

Another mis-conception is the drop in credit score for an inquiry. If you apply for a refinance the inquiry will do little to nothing to your credit score.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:09 PM

71 posts, read 240,249 times
Forget about the suggestion to wait for rates to drop another .5 to 1%... that's absurd and it won't happen.

it's all about Break even. I'd say you probably should at least apply for a refi and get firm numbers to look at. Pay special attention to the fees and figure out how long it will take toe recoup them.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 PM

too late on the rates!!!

they all have gone up and will go up.

Fannie Mae has permanently raised the prices by 0.25%..and the lenders have raised mortgage rates in a significant manner.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn38 View Post
Thanks for the figures. Looks like our new mortgage payment would be about $150 less per month and it would take about 24 months to break even after paying the closing costs. So, if we did stay in our home 5+ years, I guess it would be worth it.

We had an appraisal done just over 2 1/2 months ago - is there any chance a new lender might considering using that?
just a side note.. that $3500 fee you'll have to pay.. remember that i'll actually increase the balance of your mortgage.. so you would have to amoritize that over the life of the loan.. Yeah, I know.. its like $20 a month, but just dont forget that its a fee that your borrowing.

I've seen to many people refinance several times, and watched their loan balances become excessive over this fee. You seem to be in a good position not to worry about it.. but its just a comment.

Can you pay this fee out of pocket?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:31 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
I would also check with your local Credit Unions, there are a few here that are offering no closing costs refis. Just run the numbers to compare

Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
too late on the rates!!!

they all have gone up and will go up.

Fannie Mae has permanently raised the prices by 0.25%..and the lenders have raised mortgage rates in a significant manner.
Not sure what you mean with Fannie permanently rasing prices by 25bps.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 AM

Fannie Mae Plan to Raise Housing Finance Costs Highlights Need for Congressional... | Reuters

They raised the costs by 0.25%. It should start in March...but all the lenders have already been raising their rates due to this.

The average increase I have seen has been by 0.5%

Rates were about 5.5% for 30yr fixed..and now have jumped to approx 6%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages