Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:24 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times

Advertisements

I'm all for having a low rate on a house. But I'm not sure I'd jeopardize the deal as it now sits. If you re-open the process the closing could hit an unexpected snag. Maybe the appraisal comes out unfavorably, or another inspection reveals some problems, WHATEVER.

I would talk to the bank you're currently dealing with about a discount, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

The 6k in points to get the lower rate TO ME isn't enough to take the deal down a "dark alley" so to speak.

If "going for a little itty bit more" costs you the deal that's on the table now, you'll never forgive yourselves. Be happy with what you have before it all unwinds on some stupid unforeseen detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I'm all for having a low rate on a house. But I'm not sure I'd jeopardize the deal as it now sits. If you re-open the process the closing could hit an unexpected snag. Maybe the appraisal comes out unfavorably, or another inspection reveals some problems, WHATEVER.

I would talk to the bank you're currently dealing with about a discount, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

The 6k in points to get the lower rate TO ME isn't enough to take the deal down a "dark alley" so to speak.

If "going for a little itty bit more" costs you the deal that's on the table now, you'll never forgive yourselves. Be happy with what you have before it all unwinds on some stupid unforeseen detail.
How would having two active loan applications jeopardize anything?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
How would having two active loan applications jeopardize anything?
Two loan apps wouldn't.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
I'm not super worried about the appraisal. Perhaps I should be, but our first appraisal came in 50k above what we're paying. Another house just closed in our neighborhood (old historic homes) and sold for the same that we are paying and our house is bigger and in a much nicer location and a larger lot so that should only help matters.

I really appreciate all this advise. Coupled with the advice from our attorney and our agent, I feel pretty good about having the two applications. In the end we will hopefully get to go with #2. That appraisal should happen tomorrow and they have all of our paperwork, so hopefully all will be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages