Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 34,845 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation-
I am applying for a USDA loan. $214,900 with $4,000 back at closing.
I have a good credit score mid 700's. I have been at my job for 17 years. Have paid all my rents, utilities, and all loans I've ever had, on time. Never ever late. My credit report will reflect this. As will verification from my landlord.
I do not currently have a car payment. I do not have a lot in reserves, but I do have approximately $60,000 in my 401k.
Here's the problem. I have two credit cards. One with a zero balance that I haven't used in well over a year or two. And one that I have been using, but has been being paid by someone other than me each month. It has had high monthly balances for the past two years (paid in full each month by another party). It recently has been paid and has a zero balance. I found a house which was too good too pass up and made an offer. (first time home buyer)
I stopped using the credit card knowing that I placed an offer on a home and because the card has a zero balance. I plan on keeping the card open but only use it for an emergency at this point.

Will the fact that this card has been being paid by someone else hurt my chances of getting the loan I will be applying for? Will the loan underwriters look at this as a huge reg flag, or will they not worry to much since it has a zero balance and I have job security, with prompt paying habits for all other bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
They will look at your credit report and see someone has been paying it as agreed on time and that will reflect positive.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Your credit report will only reflect that your charges are either being paid in accordance with the terms of the card, or that they're not. It's not going to list the name of the person who is actually paying the bill. At least i never saw a credit report that reflected the name of the bill payer.

Edit to say the only red flag I could envision being raised is if your monthly expenses (including your credit card payments) exceed the amount of your take home income. I could then see the lender on your potential mortgage asking where the additional funds are coming from

Last edited by Lalalally; 06-08-2014 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Yes, unfortunately it does exceed my take home income, so when I tell them it wasn't me who was making these payments on this one card, I am scared they will deny my loan. Even though every other bill I have is paid by me, on time or early. Never once late.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Im sure you can explain to them. As far as i know it isnt a flat no, sorry, see ya later deal.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
It's getting easier to buy again, just don't buy something beyond your means. I have savings as well, 2 good incomes, and my veterans home loan certificate.

I had a hit on my credit over a medical bill in which case I have a letter saying the debt was paid. I also don't understand how this happened to begin with cause I carry blue cross blue shield so if I'm paying my insurance how come something didn't get paid?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Ok....so now let's say they bring it up and need verification. If I write a "Letter of Explanation" would that be enough, or would they need more proof such as copies of their bank statements showing they have been paying it?
If there are any underwriters out there who would like to chime in on this, I would be grateful..how would you handle this?? I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before the actual processing starts. This way no time is wasted!!

Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Can't the cardholder refrain from using it? Just keep it at zero through closing?

It's actually a double-edged sword:

1) If that tradeline is necessary to prove that your credit score/report is "valid," ie, if, without id, you only have 1 tradeline, then we must prove you ARE making the payment via bank statements.

Conversely, however:

If there is a payment due on it, and that payment pushes you outside of approvability, you will likely need to prove that it is NOT your responsibility, and that you are NOT making the payment.

Fastest solution: pull yourself off the account and show proof that you are no longer connected to that account.

Another method: 12 months bank statements from the cardholder proving that they make the payment in its entirety.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Actually, I AM the cardholder. I am the only one who has used the card. But someone else was paying it for me. It currently has a zero balance.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM

548 posts, read 816,306 times
Not the OP's situation, but I had a slight minus from zero balances. I have not let a balance carry over on my credit cards for several years. For our pre-approval my credit disclosure noted that my score was hurt by having no recent revolving account records. My score is fine, I was just surprised that *not* using my credit cards hurt me that much.

I made a $100 purchase on a credit card, paid the minimum for that month, then paid it all off the next month. Credit score went up 30 points when the bank pulled it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages