Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times

Advertisements

Our house is now under contract and we'll have the buyer's deposit next week after a few contingencies are signed off on. We are then planning to move to a much lower cost area. Our closing is quite long however, not till Dec 1 or so.

From financial point of view the easiest and cheapest scenario would presumably be to close on the new house after closing on the old. Proceeds from the sale would provide about a 35-40% down payment on the new place. From a logistical point of view this isn't very appealing because it would mean moving in winter and temporary storage of our stuff.

OTOH, our closing on the old house is so far out that we'd have enough time to find and close on a new house, allowing us then move directly out of the old house into the new without interim storage or other logistical issues. We'd also have time to do any necessary work on the new place before moving.

However, there are several obvious problems with this scenario. First, we obviously won't be able to flip our equity from the existing house into the new house so some kind of interim financing would be needed. Our credit is excellent and we have a large IRA as security. There's also the risk that we don't close on the old house at all and it goes back on the market. The deposit is ~$75k, however, so that could help mitigate the downside.

I hope that the situation is described clearly. If not I'll try to elaborate. Any thoughts on how to approach this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,317,667 times
You seem to understand the pitfalls involved, so I will keep it nuts-and-bolts.

Is your income sufficient to qualify for the new mortgage with the existing one as well?

Could you tap the IRA for 5% down on the new home purchase? You could then do a Principal Reduction when the existing home closes. Of course, make sure that the lender you are using will service the loan, and allow for such a scenario. Also, you will want Conventional Borrower-Paid Monthly mortgage insurance, and will want to confirm that it will expire upon paying the funds toward that mortgage down.

Wow, that scenario gives me chest pain. So much can go wrong with your Sale by December. There are some great Realtors on this board who might have a better solution.

What part of the country are you moving from, and to?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
You seem to understand the pitfalls involved, so I will keep it nuts-and-bolts.

Is your income sufficient to qualify for the new mortgage with the existing one as well?
YES (I think).

Could you tap the IRA for 5% down on the new home purchase?
YES.
You could then do a Principal Reduction when the existing home closes. Of course, make sure that the lender you are using will service the loan, and allow for such a scenario. Also, you will want Conventional Borrower-Paid Monthly mortgage insurance, and will want to confirm that it will expire upon paying the funds toward that mortgage down.

Wow, that scenario gives me chest pain. So much can go wrong with your Sale by December.
Unless buyer can somehow claw back their deposit it doesn't seem so bad. With $75k I can put house back on the market in the spring and it will almost certainly sell fast (I got on the market too late this time around). That buys a lot of double-mortgage months.
There are some great Realtors on this board who might have a better solution.

What part of the country are you moving from, and to?
NY 'burbs to Utah.
Thanks. See above. Does any of that relieve chest pain? I have some chest pain too!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Well, it sounds like it can be done, and you can "repay" the IRA before the end of the year. Hope it goes well for you!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
So long as the very large $75,000 deposit is held by a proper escrow agent I would not feel too freaked out but I sorta wonder why you did not instead execute a sale / lease back instead of going with the exceeding long close...

In my experience, the more costly the home the lower the risk of the sale / lease back arangment. Folks that can afford expensive homes (and I assume a deposit of $75,000 would only be appropriate on a very costly home...) also have experience with attornies that are only too happy to explain to them the upsides and pitfalls of all outcomes of sale / lease back arrangements.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
1. So long as the very large $75,000 deposit is held by a proper escrow agent I would not feel too freaked out but I sorta wonder why you did not instead execute a sale / lease back instead of going with the exceeding long close...

In my experience, the more costly the home the lower the risk of the sale / lease back arangment. Folks that can afford expensive homes (and I assume a deposit of $75,000 would only be appropriate on a very costly home...) also 2. have experience with attornies that are only too happy to explain to them the upsides and pitfalls of all outcomes of sale / lease back arrangements.
1. absolutely.
2. I'll be hashing this out with lawyers this week. Wanted to get other input/insights in the meantime. Thanks much.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Hey I neglected to mention: the Principal Reduction will not reduce your monthly payment. It may trigger the removal of Mortgage Insurance, but the base payment will not go down, only your balance.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,993,881 times
Have you asked your mortgage broker about a bridge loan? It's for exactly this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages