Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM

61 posts, read 74,303 times

Advertisements

hello all, quick question for confirmation. i want to buy a house in another state while using my employment and time at current job in the current state i live in. is that possible? i know lenders look at employment and how long you have been at current job. i have been at my current job for 6 years, my GF 4 years. i really dont want to move and b umeployed trying to buy a house. i know that definitely isnt possible. but we do receive $2500 in SSI on top of our current job income. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
Buy as a 2nd home. Conventional. Can go as little as 5% down. Rates just as good as a primary residence. Can't go FHA/VA/USDA.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Buy as a 2nd home. Conventional. Can go as little as 5% down. Rates just as good as a primary residence. Can't go FHA/VA/USDA.
oh ok. thank you. i would be a first time buyer. would that be a problem?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM

Nope.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 AM

520 posts, read 600,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
oh ok. thank you. i would be a first time buyer. would that be a problem?
Shouldn't be a problem. I was close to getting a mortgage on my first home in another state. It was an investment property. I didn't go with the mortgage as I paid in cash. As mentioned above, you won't be eligible for certain loans.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Shouldn't be a problem. I was close to getting a mortgage on my first home in another state. It was an investment property. I didn't go with the mortgage as I paid in cash. As mentioned above, you won't be eligible for certain loans.
thanks. now as far as applying for the loan, would i need to contact a lender where i want to purchase or where i am currently employed?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
thanks. now as far as applying for the loan, would i need to contact a lender where i want to purchase or where i am currently employed?
Lending is by state, so you need them in the state you are purchasing, some lenders will do multiple states.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Neither is a requirement. I personally favor more local lenders, where you can sit with them and ask questions and just feel better about the whole thing, especially as a first time buyer. But it depends on your comfort zone.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Neither is a requirement. I personally favor more local lenders, where you can sit with them and ask questions and just feel better about the whole thing, especially as a first time buyer. But it depends on your comfort zone.
thank you very much. i would prefer face to face because as you said, it would be my first time. thanks again for all your input.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM

another quick question, jus sitting here thinking. applying for a loan as a second home, are there things i cant qualify for such as first time buyer benefits or whatever there is? also if i did jus say ok ima apply for it as my primary residence, would my SSI of $2500 be sufficient to buy a house of 230k or they really want that employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages