Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,054,466 times

Advertisements

In short, I recently racked up about $15k worth of debt on credit cards with 0% interest for 1-2 years. I'm interested in buying a house before prices go up, and currently have about $30k that I could put towards a down payment and closing costs. The homes I'm interested in cost around $220k - $300k. I make $100k / year, with a 780 FICO and no debt beyond those cards and a $180 / month student loan.

Am I better paying off those cards now and having substantially less for a down payment, or keeping more for the down payment and paying them off over time / closer to when the 0% rate runs up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM

3,805 posts, read 9,302,828 times
IMO (predicated on meeting qualifying guidelines) -

Go 5% down Conventional, now, and pay other debt down as you can. The "better off" part is subjective. Nobody can predict the future. People might throw around platitudes about having zero debt and then buying a house. I disagree. Pull the trigger.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Personally I would not purchase a home or vehicle unless I was debt free and can pay cash for said home or vehicle.
That being said since you have chosen to finance then I would pay all the debt off before taking a mortgage.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM

19,399 posts, read 27,708,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally I would not purchase a home or vehicle unless I was debt free and can pay cash for said home or vehicle.
That being said since you have chosen to finance then I would pay all the debt off before taking a mortgage.
^^^^^^

What Pfhtex said.

Though I will add that I wouldn't have racked up credit card debt like thst regardless of the interest rate!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,070,811 times
Set aside some money for repairs and other incidentals - there will be some. Then buy the house. Pay off the credit cards asap and do not buy anything else until those are paid in full. Then use the credit cards for convenience only when you already have the money in hand. That will stop you from impulse buying or buying more than you can afford.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,781,765 times
I'd say buy, but first evaluate your budget. Will you be able to attack that $15,000 CC bill before the rate changes?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:51 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
^^^^^^

Quite unnecessary.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM

19,399 posts, read 27,708,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Quite unnecessary.
Recommending that no one should purchase a home until they can pay cash deserves at least

(And yes, I know who Dave Ramsey is, and I also HAVE paid cash for homes.)

Old 09-19-2014, 06:24 PM

569 posts, read 1,054,466 times
Thanks for the input everyone

Just FYI:
*I am not a free / high spender
*I don't like debt and almost never carry any, except for my student loans which are at about 3% interest
*Until recently I have paid off my credit cards in their entirety every month
*My cars are entirely paid off
*I don't like debt - this whole thing is difficult for me mentally - but I do understand that it can be a very useful tool, especially for large purchases, such as houses, or when you can get it at very low interest rates, especially if it's below what you can reasonably make in the market. That is essentially free money

Why do I have that much on those cards right now?
In January, my girlfriend and I made a 900 mile move. We didn't bring any furniture with us (neither of us had much, I sold what little I had to my brother). We're renting a 2/2 home that needed to be furnished. She had no money and was starting school when we got here. That left 2 bedrooms, a living room, dining room, kitchen, Florida room, and patio that all needed to be furnished and supplied at one time and paid for by me. Yes, I could have paid cash for all of it, just like I could pay off all the debt right now. But why do so when I can get 0% rates, leaving me with more money to invest or use in case of emergency? Plus I knew that if we liked the area I'd be interested in buying a house, so why limit myself if the money could be better spent on a down payment?

Old 09-20-2014, 04:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
In short, I recently racked up about $15k worth of debt on credit cards with 0% interest for 1-2 years. I'm interested in buying a house before prices go up, and currently have about $30k that I could put towards a down payment and closing costs. The homes I'm interested in cost around $220k - $300k. I make $100k / year, with a 780 FICO and no debt beyond those cards and a $180 / month student loan.

Am I better paying off those cards now and having substantially less for a down payment, or keeping more for the down payment and paying them off over time / closer to when the 0% rate runs up?

Well you're not drowning in debt at 15k owed. If you got the money and can get a comfortable payment and are not planning on selling or flipping then buy. Just don't go nuts and get caught and overbid. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages