Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM

268 posts, read 383,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla View Post
I still appreciate your help. While I am going to make final decision early January, I think what worked for DrD76 can (and mostly probably will) work for me.

A question:
According to: Cash Advance vs Balance Transfer: The Lesser of Two Evils

I can have Balance Transfer as regular checks?! If so then do they allow limit up to credit limit?
Absolutely YES! This is precisely what I did!
I have gotten 0% BT checks that can be used UP TO THE CC LIMIT! (Chase)
I have gotten 0% BT Direct Deposits to my checking account that can be used UP TO THE CC LIMIT! (Citibank and Bank Of America)
I have gotten 0% BT Direct Pay to Mortgage Accounts that can be used UP TO THE CC LIMIT! (Discover IT)

Just make sure you don't exceed CC limit when you add in the fees.
Just make sure you realize that the closer you get to your CC limit, the lower your next CC score will go.
And of course, plan carefully, do not default!

Cash Advance IS NOT THE SAME AS BT... What I did was BT, not Cash Advance!

DrD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD76 View Post
Absolutely YES! This is precisely what I did!
I have gotten 0% BT checks that can be used UP TO THE CC LIMIT! (Chase)
I have gotten 0% BT Direct Deposits to my checking account that can be used UP TO THE CC LIMIT! (Citibank and Bank Of America)
I have gotten 0% BT Direct Pay to Mortgage Accounts that can be used UP TO THE CC LIMIT! (Discover IT)

Just make sure you don't exceed CC limit when you add in the fees.
Just make sure you realize that the closer you get to your CC limit, the lower your next CC score will go.
And of course, plan carefully, do not default!

Cash Advance IS NOT THE SAME AS BT... What I did was BT, not Cash Advance!

DrD
Just one more thing... it depends on the CC company whether they offer BT via Checks/Direct Deposits/Direct Pay... for instance, in my case, Discover IT only offered Direct Pay... they didn't offer checks or direct deposits.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,629,055 times
Quote:
That's the problem: To go the Balance Transfer route I will need to pay off $24,000 from that. I doubt Chase Slate alone will give me that option. I am going to guess they are going to give me $12,000 credit line and of that only $6,000 as Cash Advance! So...I would have to find several of such 15-month, zero interest, zero fees cards to get the $24,000. Highly unlikely!

I wish I don't need a 'middleman' like Charge Smart.
What will your mortgage balance be by next April?

(The cash advance limit does not matter. A balance transfer is not a cash advance. Just like the price of tea in China, the cash advance limit is completely irrelevant to what you are trying to do.)

Old 10-08-2014, 02:34 PM

388 posts, read 275,556 times
DrD76: Wow! This changes things some. @Petunia100 seems correct after all.

@Petunia100: My mortgage should by early April should be around $15,000.

Thank you both!

Old 10-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Well, well, well! Just spoke with my Credit Card A representative and she confirmed that I could have 0% APR up to 18 months AND upto my credit limit right now, if I wanted to. She also confirmed "right now" I could also have the money transferred to my checking account. There is currently a 3% fee attached to that.
@Petunia100: You were right!

So now I am realizing that I don't have to pay Charge Smart if I could find zero transfer fee cards. Sweeeet!!!

So, I should start shopping for a card around December. If I find two good cards with around $12k each then it would be zero interest for 12+ months and no fees either. Only Chase Slate fits the bill right now.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Well, well, well! Just spoke with my Credit Card A representative and she confirmed that I could have 0% APR up to 18 months AND upto my credit limit right now, if I wanted to. She also confirmed "right now" I could also have the money transferred to my checking account. There is currently a 3% fee attached to that.
@Petunia100: You were right!

So now I am realizing that I don't have to pay Charge Smart if I could find zero transfer fee cards. Sweeeet!!!

So, I should start shopping for a card around December. If I find two good cards with around $12k each then it would be zero interest for 12+ months and no fees either. Only Chase Slate fits the bill right now.
Citi Simplicity, Citi ThankYou, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, Bank Of America ... just a few that I have and that had offered 0% BT offers... of course, applying for credit also lowers your score... but then when you get approved and your overall credit limit increases, your score goes up

Old 10-08-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Citi Simplicity, Citi ThankYou, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, Bank Of America ... just a few that I have and that had offered 0% BT offers... of course, applying for credit also lowers your score... but then when you get approved and your overall credit limit increases, your score goes up
It would be nice to get something like Chase Slate: 0% interest for 15 months and 0 BT fees.

Now I am torn between opening a Chase Slate account now and pay off, say, $12,000 or wait till early January and see where we actually stand by then. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Old 10-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
It would be nice to get something like Chase Slate: 0% interest for 15 months and 0 BT fees.

Now I am torn between opening a Chase Slate account now and pay off, say, $12,000 or wait till early January and see where we actually stand by then. Decisions, decisions, decisions...
I went ahead and taken the first step: Applied for the Chase Slate card online and it has been 'approved' for $10k. I am going to push for more credit limit soon. Within next few days, I think I am going to Close my Chase Ink credit card which hardly every gets used...

Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I went ahead and taken the first step: Applied for the Chase Slate card online and it has been 'approved' for $10k. I am going to push for more credit limit soon. Within next few days, I think I am going to Close my Chase Ink credit card which hardly every gets used...
Hi Meengla,
Closing CC has a negative effect on credit score...
Credit scoring formulas use "Total CC Limit", and when you close a CC, the Total CC Limit decreases, which in turn negatively effects score...
Probably you already knew... but just thought I'd mention it.
DrD

Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Meengla,
Closing CC has a negative effect on credit score...
Credit scoring formulas use "Total CC Limit", and when you close a CC, the Total CC Limit decreases, which in turn negatively effects score...
Probably you already knew... but just thought I'd mention it.
DrD
Hi,
I am kind of aware of that; and someone in this thread did mention that a few pages ago. But I remember many years ago I was given a very low credit limit because 'I had too many accounts' and was advised to Close some.

Anyway, even after Closing the Chase Ink card, I will still have 3 credit cards, including the new Chase Slate one. My credit score is so high at the moment that I doubt Closing one more (I did Close a Bank of America one a few days ago) would have too much impact?
Thanks for the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages