Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Are there any risk or issues or concerns with a house over appraising? This is the lender's appraisal, for a new construction build. It's coming in close to 10% above purchase price, which was the standard pricing, not a discounted spec home or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
What Risk would you have buying a house that is worth more than you paid?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:35 AM

Maybe a risk for the loan going through? I don't know how carefully underwriting reviews appraisals and if they would have any questions about a house selling for that much less than it's supposedly worth.

I don't think it's worth that higher amount, btw, but it's a little hard to tell because the selling price of most of the houses in the subdivision isn't public yet. I suppose the value of all the homes could have gone up since the builder broke ground.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
If the lender is loaning you money, the house is the collateral. If it is worth more than what they are loaning to you ( higher appraised) then it is a win win situation for you and the bank.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:49 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,143 times
It is not out of the realm of possibility to have a proposed new construction (construction to permanent) appraisal come in over the contract price, particularly if you negotiated well or have a motivated builder/seller. The builder costs plus profit comes in less than the mortgage value.

I've seen where the home builder discounted a proposed new construction just to move the property so that he could obtain more funds to build another home. The buyer bought the home about $20K below market value. Yep, motivated builder/seller.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
It is not out of the realm of possibility to have a proposed new construction (construction to permanent) appraisal come in over the contract price, particularly if you negotiated well or have a motivated builder/seller. The builder costs plus profit comes in less than the mortgage value.

I've seen where the home builder discounted a proposed new construction just to move the property so that he could obtain more funds to build another home. The buyer bought the home about $20K below market value. Yep, motivated builder/seller.
This is not a case where I paid less than the going rate though. It's in a very, very popular area of Denver, and in our hot real estate market, they don't need to discount to get things sold. And it's a large tract builder, one of the largest in the US, not a small builder who needs cash flow. So I paid standard pricing, no bargains here! I think it's worth what I paid, once you factor in location, as the same models sell for significantly less in other locations in the metro area. But maybe values have continued to increase over the months since I bought?

In any case, as long as it's not a red flag for the underwriter, that makes me happy. Just don't want anything messing up my loan and closing!!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

The good news is there was no problem with the appraisal being high - just heard that I got final approval on my loan!

Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This is not a case where I paid less than the going rate though. It's in a very, very popular area of Denver, and in our hot real estate market, they don't need to discount to get things sold. And it's a large tract builder, one of the largest in the US, not a small builder who needs cash flow. So I paid standard pricing, no bargains here! I think it's worth what I paid, once you factor in location, as the same models sell for significantly less in other locations in the metro area. But maybe values have continued to increase over the months since I bought?

In any case, as long as it's not a red flag for the underwriter, that makes me happy. Just don't want anything messing up my loan and closing!!
I think what you are experiencing is an increasing market, as indicated by a balanced or shortage of supply (available homes) and/or by increasing market prices.

For a mortgage-backed construction-to-permanent loan, the initial appraisal is for the market value on the date of appraisal. Fast forward a few months, when the home is now completed, the appraiser confirms that the home has been completed to plans & specs and that the home has not decreased in value (both of which are concerns for the lender).

Sounds like a win-win condition for you!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:31 AM

Thanks TexasDillo! I am less concerned about the value, because I'm not selling any time soon, and the market and values are likely to be totally different by whenever. So it's just about the mortgage going through and the closing taking place. At this point, it looks like I've done everything I need to do and now it's on the builder to finish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages