Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 55,565 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time home buyer and I'm purchasing a condo townhouse and it has been under contact since August. The seller and I agreed on a 90 day closing date and I started the mortgage loan process with my lender, Chase.

I submitted all paperwork within 24 hours of requests, and cooperated with every request. Well shortly after the underwriting process started, my loan officer says he made a mistake on the locked interest rate and didn't quote it as a condo, but just a townhouse, and they had to change the rate, which will cause it to increase. I fought him on it and he said he will buy down the rate, but I need to be approved first.

Well, I was supposed to close last Friday and Chase calls me last Wednesday to say that they need a hoa questionnaire filled out and the one they had wasn't done correctly. My hoa uses a website to handle their paperwork and refused to give answers. The website charges for this information and chase claimed that they can't get the information. Apparently I was supposed to request and pay for it, but noone told me! After some back and forth chase agreed to pay for it, and I thought I was fine.

Well then they had to have their chase questionnaire filled out and not the generic one on the website so I won't be closing on Friday. Seller agreed to a one week extension and that's it. Chase did the comparison between the two forms and everything was fine.

Now it's Tuesday, my application has been 1.5 days in project approval with no decision. and then it has to go back to underwriting when that's done. My processor quoted me Thursday for closing and now I'm questioning if that will even happen!

Has anyone had this much of a headache with chase? I think this all stems from the first mistake with the interest rate and my lo not realizing this was a condo.

Last edited by Nolegrl88; 10-28-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Acquaintances have unless they had top notch loan officers who were experienced, cared and knew all the ins and outs and alternatives. Sometimes, even at best, it's a terribly uncreative loan officer's fault. Other times, it's the more stringent loan requirements. Still other times, like one I'm involved in currently, it's a loan officer who I think would have to know more just to get through life. Might never have bought or sold herself.

It is a lot of work and I wouldn't want to be a loan officer because I'd have to be a great one and I don't know how the great ones do it. You loan officer should be guiding you expertly through all this.

All the best.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Acquaintances have unless they had top notch loan officers who were experienced, cared and knew all the ins and outs and alternatives. Sometimes, even at best, it's a terribly uncreative loan officer's fault. Other times, it's the more stringent loan requirements. Still other times, like one I'm involved in currently, it's a loan officer who I think would have to know more just to get through life. Might never have bought or sold herself.

It is a lot of work and I wouldn't want to be a loan officer because I'd have to be a great one and I don't know how the great ones do it. You loan officer should be guiding you expertly through all this.

All the best.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I think my lo is out of the picture. I've been dealing with the processor exclusively and everything else has supposedly been escalated to management and expedited through the process. I don't know what all is involved with this, and I know I'm not the only client, but they're overdue on closing and I don't see why they need a whole week to fix it.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:04 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
How about your Realtor? Do you have one? He/she should be guiding you too and really on these people.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM

Yes, I'm working with a team of 2 realtors and they are both aware of the situation. Unfortunately, Chase will only speak with me and everyone is on a hold waiting for them to make a decision. My parents and older sister are helping me out with this process as well, but right now I think it's just a matter of Chase dragging their feet.

Apparently the team that is reviewing my application for project approval is in another timezone, 3 hours behind me, which doesn't help matters.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:54 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
I'd put some of the difficulties on the HOA.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I'd put some of the difficulties on the HOA.
That's true as well. Since that initial outreach though, they've been very helpful. If there were additional questions or clarifications needed, the HOA answered them right away with no trouble. I'm sure the HOA is probably annoyed that the bank is asking them for this so late too. This should have been done a month ago when they found that interest rate error.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Last 2 loans I've used a mortgage broker and it was so much easier than dealing with a big bank. My sister was buying a $750K condo and trying to get a mortgage for $100K and Wells Fargo pretty much screwed the whole thing up and she ended up draining her entire savings to pay cash at closing to avoid losing the condo. I'm sorry, I know neither of these things help and I've been stuck at the the title office in tears at least once in the past due to a major mistake by the lender. All I can say is hang in there, try to be firm but not rude, and I hope everything works out for you.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Last 2 loans I've used a mortgage broker and it was so much easier than dealing with a big bank. My sister was buying a $750K condo and trying to get a mortgage for $100K and Wells Fargo pretty much screwed the whole thing up and she ended up draining her entire savings to pay cash at closing to avoid losing the condo. I'm sorry, I know neither of these things help and I've been stuck at the the title office in tears at least once in the past due to a major mistake by the lender. All I can say is hang in there, try to be firm but not rude, and I hope everything works out for you.
Thank you! I've heard horror stories about Wells Fargo as well. This whole situation is very disconcerting for a first-time-buyer and it makes me not want to go through this again.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,785 times
Lots of new mortgage lending rules and laws went into effect in January of this year. Banks and lending institutions are still working out the mechanics of some of the new rules & laws and, goodness knows, the mortgage industry regulators are publishing new guidance every other week.

Sometimes working with local lenders is better than dealing with the Big Box Store lenders (WF, Chase, BoA, etc.).

Sorry for your stress and I hope you get to closing without having to sell your soul to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages