Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 11,009 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Thanks for reading. Nervous first time buyers here.

We were pre-approved and were originally shopping around 350-400k range for homes. Despite what you hear about Atlanta, unless you want to live in the burbs or in a fixer-upper intown. Not too many choices in single family homes inside the city for middle class people.

After searching for 8 months, we are now under contract at a house for $425k and are applying for a $250k home loan.

Because I am paying my portion of the house in the form of down payment, fiancee is only one taking out loan.

He has over 740+ credit score, 13 years same employer, $60k salary, one car loan for $14,000/350 a month and one cc $8,000/100 a month.

We are still nervous about getting the loan despite pre-approval and large down, due to his salary and debts.

Any insight you can provide would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:06 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
At $60k, a conservative loan amount would be around $200k. With the car of $350 a month, how is he pre-approved for $250k? More than likely, they're going to need your income also. If you're getting married, and you're putting a substantial down payment, don't you want your name on the title and such to protect your investment?

Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 11,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
At $60k, a conservative loan amount would be around $200k. With the car of $350 a month, how is he pre-approved for $250k? More than likely, they're going to need your income also. If you're getting married, and you're putting a substantial down payment, don't you want your name on the title and such to protect your investment?
LO said that I can be on title without being on loan. I don't want to be on the loan since I am paying my portion. If I have to, I can contribute half of price just didn't want to and trying to put down just 40% for now. So, the conservative estimate is $200k? Thanks for your input!

Old 11-09-2014, 03:16 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Need more than just being on title to protect her equity and investment.

Depending on interest rate and term there isn't enough information to cast doubt that he can get approved for a $250k loan. Property taxes are a huge unknown left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookngrl View Post
LO said that I can be on title without being on loan. I don't want to be on the loan since I am paying my portion. If I have to, I can contribute half of price just didn't want to and trying to put down just 40% for now. So, the conservative estimate is $200k? Thanks for your input!
This is a question for your LO, they will have the most information to answer this question. Do you know what the LO or underwriter calculated his DTI to be and at what rate?

Old 11-10-2014, 08:32 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Because I am paying my portion of the house in the form of down payment, fiancee is only one taking out loan.
I think it would be wise for you to consult with a real estate attorney to protect your interests. What if the unthinkable happens? (meaning something that YOU don't think will happen, but has happened to many other couples--both married and unmarried)

Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Be prepared to gift that down payment to him. There are steps to take and you are "waiving" all your rights to those funds by the way. No way to sue later if things don't work out. I don't want to be a naysayer, but just letting you know that you can't just contribute that way. It has to be in a gift form since you aren't going to be on the loan. I may be wrong though, but we went through it recently and that's what the gift letter stated. (waiving all rights to the gift)

And yes while you are on the title but that's not quite good enough as you would only be entitled to half of the equity in the home. So half of the 40% down.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Hi there,

We were pre-approved and were originally shopping around 350-400k range for homes. Despite what you hear about Atlanta, unless you want to live in the burbs or in a fixer-upper intown. Not too many choices in single family homes inside the city for middle class people.

After searching for 8 months, we are now under contract at a house for $425k and are applying for a $250k home loan.

He has over 740+ credit score, 13 years same employer, $60k salary, one car loan for $14,000/350 a month and one cc $8,000/100 a month.

We are still nervous about getting the loan despite pre-approval and large down, due to his salary and debts.

So 425k-250k=175k.....your portion? You call it even if he has to shell out 75k more in risk than you are?

Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM

680 posts, read 1,920,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So 425k-250k=175k.....your portion? You call it even if he has to shell out 75k more in risk than you are?
Her $175K down payment saves them $125K of interest (at 4%)

While she may not be making payments, her $175K down payment is more valuable than his $250K Loan from an opportunity cost perspective as well.

Additionally, if the house goes into foreclosure, or the market crashes, who loses the most money?

I believe the OP is taking on the biggest risk here.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 AM

339 posts, read 975,518 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Before you do anything, I think you should consult a RE Lawyer. Like it was mentioned above, you are taking a big risk and your fiancee not so much. I have this friend that did this with her boyfirend years ago but they put it in a contract what would happen if they needed to sell or if they break up, etc.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Yeah but if he stops paying the mortgage the bank forecloses. I guess you might be able to retain some of your equity but not sure I would take this approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages