Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 9,124 times

Advertisements

Two family members of ours haven't paid their mortgage for over 2 years. The bank finally started the foreclosure process, and the house failed to sell at auction, so the bank now owns it. They are moving out next month, but the foreclosure won't "hit" their credit report until May. They put in an offer on a new house that is $25K more than they owe on the existing house. They have gotten pre-qualified, but is a loan even possible? Will it possibly clear underwriting? Wouldn't the two year delinquency pose problems even if their income somehow was able to cover both loans (it's not)? Even worse, they're in the middle of bankruptcy, scheduled to be discharged at the end of next month. They expect to get the new loan the next month.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't really concern myself with other people's financial matters. However, the drama if this loan doesn't go through will be explosive, and since they're family, we can't exactly run from it.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Pre-qualified really doesn't mean anything. Pre-approved is another thing. I'm confused how they even got anyone to consider giving them a mortgage loan under these circumstances. Something doesn't sound right; are you sure they have actually applied for a loan and not just talked about doing it?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM

They have not formally applied for a loan, as they cannot until the BK is discharged at the end of next month. Pre-qualification is thrown around without much information needed, so I don't put much weight in that end of it.

I'm concerned they're completely delusional, and I genuinely don't believe they can get fully approved and close the loan. However, I'm wondering if there are any loopholes they may have found that I don't know about.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
I think in the best case scenario, there is still a minimum 6 month wait after bankruptcy for some types of loans and a 1 year for others. There are private lenders who will make these loans but the interest are high, with all sorts of gotchas, and really tailor solely for the lender not the borrower. Some may be out right scams.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
That makes about as much sense as a snake with sneakers. Are they trying to scam the 'system'?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That makes about as much sense as a snake with sneakers. Are they trying to scam the 'system'?
Well they purposefully have not paid the other mortgage, and they are trying to rush to the new house before the foreclosure officially hits their report. In that sense, I suppose they are attempting somewhat of a scam.

I'm genuinely concerned about what is going on behind the scenes to facilitate this process. If they get the loan, my concern will only grow.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
If they haven't paid in over 2 years, they would have a constant 90+ late showing on their credit. I can't imagine any lender would give a new mortgage to someone with a running 90+ late... they would be HIGH risk.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
They sound like charming people, and no I don't believe they will make it past underwriting.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:08 PM

83 posts, read 114,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If they haven't paid in over 2 years, they would have a constant 90+ late showing on their credit. I can't imagine any lender would give a new mortgage to someone with a running 90+ late... they would be HIGH risk.
This.

No payment for 2 years will show on the credit report. This will not get approved. Especially when they see that it is a consistent mortgage 90+ days late payments.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:55 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
They sound like charming people, and no I don't believe they will make it past underwriting.
I swear, do not even get me started!! Btw, what state is this in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages