Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 AM

11 posts, read 15,007 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I went to fill out the paperwork for my mortgage on January 21st. On January 22nd, I got an alert from my credit monitoring that the previous day there was a hard inquiry on my credit. I don't believe it came from the lender as it was from Capital One and that is not my lender. So I called the 800 number listed with the inquiry and they told me that an account had been opened in my name with the last name spelled incorrectly but with my SSN, Birthday, etc. They closed the account immediately as fraudulent and stated they would send me a letter and form to complete. I reported it to my lender the same day. He had me write a Letter of Explanation for the inquiry and said a letter from Capital One would be required. I still haven't see the letter from C1, but they did say 7-10 business days so hoping it comes in soon. Anyone have any idea if this will affect anything? I've been very diligent about not opening credit or anything while in this process and it was something I was made aware of prior to even starting. I don't want my loan to fall through or experience delay but I fear it may be headed that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times
It should not affect your current mortgage loan. But make sure you get that documentation from Capital One just in case the lender wants proof.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 AM

604 posts, read 930,523 times
The underwriting computer system (DU) might kick your application out or flag it. It would then go to a real person (underwriter) who will examine the issues. Your letter of explanation will likely eliminate any concern (if there was one to begin with). I would spend ZERO time worrying about this.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 PM

8,663 posts, read 22,834,550 times
Know where you SS card is - there should be a credit alert on you your social. The fix is a copy of your Social Security card.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 15,007 times
I forgot I posted this. I pulled my credit reports through annualcreditreport.com last Thursday and I don't think that this was an actual ID theft attempt. It looks to me like someone transposed some numbers or something, maybe in the SSN. The name and address on the inquiry (showed up on the TU report) was in another state with a similiar name to mine. It'd be a really weird coincedence but maybe their SSN is only a few numbers off from mine as well. I've already submitted an LoE to the lender, but I haven't seen anything from Cap One yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages