U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 14,256 times

Advertisements

Chicago area and first time home buyer here, went FHA with down payment assistance program through Illinois smart trio program

We put an offer on a home for $142,500 and asked the seller to give us $3,000 towards closing cost assistance the contract was accepted on 2/25/15 and we are going through a mortgage broker that deals with IDHA down payment assistant programs.

The program we are going through is/was called the smart move trio program with MCC (it was no longer offered as of March 7th we applied before the 7th), it gives up to 2% down payment with 1% the buyer is responsible for. The loan amount will be for 139,918 @ 30 year fixed at 4.375% Property taxes are 3883.00 and homeowners insurance premium per year would be $678.00 with PMI at 0.85% the estimated monthly mortgage will be 1178.00 per month.

I've been employed for 8 years as of July, my wife has been employed for 8 months as of April 7th

our revolving monthly debt is 781.00 (Car Loan for 414.00 and Personal loan for 366.92)

Our combined monthly income is $4450 per month pre-tax with room for growth, I get a raise in July. My credit score for was between 780-803 and my wife's was between 790-813

I checked FHA website and it says front end DTI should not exceed 29% I calculated our front end at 26%

Our back end DTI is at 44% FHA guidelines states should not exceed 43%

With that being said does anyone feel we will run into issues? Underwriting had our income figured less but was amended after they received our VOE.

Input would be greatly appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,397,636 times
I've been looking for houses and looking at conventional loans, but your interest rate seems a bit in the outrageous category, especially with a 780 credit score. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in, perhaps FHA loans are higher interest? I know the PMI is a lot higher, which keeps me from seeking one.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,513,268 times
The rate is outrageous for a normal conforming loan w 80% LTV and top tier credit, but they are doing a special assistance program so that could be why it's higher.

It's hard to give an opinion on whether your budget will work, because we don't know anything about you(other expenses, spending habits). You're spending almost half your take home pay on home/car/personal loans, so once other necessary expenses factor in like food, clothes, utilities it could be tight. Best advice I can give is just prepare a detailed budget and see if it will work. And then stick to it

Old 03-25-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
The rate is outrageous for a normal conforming loan w 80% LTV and top tier credit, but they are doing a special assistance program so that could be why it's higher.

It's hard to give an opinion on whether your budget will work, because we don't know anything about you(other expenses, spending habits). You're spending almost half your take home pay on home/car/personal loans, so once other necessary expenses factor in like food, clothes, utilities it could be tight. Best advice I can give is just prepare a detailed budget and see if it will work. And then stick to it
That is why it's higher, its a down payment assistance program through the state. I've already done the budget we have 600.00 at the end of the month, that's after all bills are paid. I planned on putting that into a savings account.

My mortgage broker told me with the mortgage payment our DTI will end up being 45% We do have a conditional approval/commitment, I just found out we had conditional approval/commitment yesterday from my Realtor. Currently the mortgage company is still waiting on the title from the sellers attorney along with other internal items.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 AM

FYI the rate is fixed by the state program, I cannot buy down my rate, that's another reason why it is high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or