U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 03:21 PM

230 posts, read 148,991 times

Advertisements

Went to see a house listed for 195k recently and within 10 minutes knew I wanted to make an offer, so after my realtor checked comps we offered 191k and asked for 3k to help with closing so they said to kick rocks.

Well I thought to myself hell what's 4 more thousand and to offer them the list price but still ask for 3 grand for closing.They never responded.

So basically I'm asking what is it they want where they won't even negotiate with me, BTW the house was only on the market for 2 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,725,562 times
Maybe it is not the price but something else in the purchase agreement. Do you have a pre-qualification letter for a mortgage? Is your income / debt ratio qualifying for a loan? Do you have 20% down payment $? How much were you offering for the deposit--enough for the down payment? Are you seeking a specific type of loan that may cost the seller, or a loan that is hard to get like 3$ down payment?

Then maybe it is your closing timing. I had an offer once with a buyer who wanted to close in 9 months--well, no--no purchase price could make me wait that long. Or maybe a request such as new roof, or leaving personal things like furniture.

Or maybe with it being a new listing they do not know how hard it is to get an offer and will come back to you in a month when they get tired of waiting for offers.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:33 PM

230 posts, read 148,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Maybe it is not the price but something else in the purchase agreement. Do you have a pre-qualification letter for a mortgage? Is your income / debt ratio qualifying for a loan? Do you have 20% down payment $? How much were you offering for the deposit--enough for the down payment? Are you seeking a specific type of loan that may cost the seller, or a loan that is hard to get like 3$ down payment?

Then maybe it is your closing timing. I had an offer once with a buyer who wanted to close in 9 months--well, no--no purchase price could make me wait that long. Or maybe a request such as new roof, or leaving personal things like furniture.

Or maybe with it being a new listing they do not know how hard it is to get an offer and will come back to you in a month when they get tired of waiting for offers.
EVERYTHING on my end is good,doing a V.A loan

asked for 30 day escrow,I mean I would think if something was off then they would say what it was

Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,491,694 times
It's possible they received a more generous offer. Do you know if they had had someone else see the house before you came?

Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 PM

7,602 posts, read 17,634,581 times
It's also quite possible they are reviewing all offers on Monday and will respond then. Make sure you agent didn't miss something when they pulled up to the listing in the MLS.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,333,983 times
Best guess is that they don't like the idea of paying for your closing costs.

Even though it's the net price which should be important, some people just find it objectionable to pay for your expenses.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:07 AM

96 posts, read 63,226 times
Another possibility is the property is worth a lot more than the listing price. Some people list the price of their property way below the market value so people would go into a bidding war for it.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 AM

4,146 posts, read 8,389,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklessdaddy View Post
Went to see a house listed for 195k recently and within 10 minutes knew I wanted to make an offer, so after my realtor checked comps we offered 191k and asked for 3k to help with closing so they said to kick rocks.

Well I thought to myself hell what's 4 more thousand and to offer them the list price but still ask for 3 grand for closing.They never responded.

So basically I'm asking what is it they want where they won't even negotiate with me, BTW the house was only on the market for 2 days
You probably answered your own question.

But then there may be many other reasons. What you need to realize is that you offer what you feel it's worth.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,337,360 times
I have seen reservations on accepting VA loans, maybe it's that? I don't agree with it but I have seen and heard of people not liking the VA's loan processing.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 PM

14,312 posts, read 17,519,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I have seen reservations on accepting VA loans, maybe it's that? I don't agree with it but I have seen and heard of people not liking the VA's loan processing.
Sorry to say, but that's what I was thinking, too.

Plus, with your offer coming in so quickly, they might figure they can hold out for a week or two for more money. If they don't get another, higher offer, their realtor will call your realtor. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or