U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:34 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,542,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
As of today, I still haven't received the preapproval letter and I did follow up.
And you are still sticking with this lender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 11:23 AM

13,230 posts, read 11,754,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
And you are still sticking with this lender.
Today I received a loan commitment letter that said that I was approved for the loan when all I wanted was a preapproval letter. Maybe this bank only does prequalification letters and loan commitment letters, but I think I'm good now!

Old 05-08-2015, 12:48 PM

77 posts, read 78,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Today I received a loan commitment letter that said that I was approved for the loan when all I wanted was a preapproval letter. Maybe this bank only does prequalification letters and loan commitment letters, but I think I'm good now!
Go figure you didn't even want that, and all I want is my full loan approval when it's been over 30 days for application and we close in a week. Argh.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellohio View Post
Go figure you didn't even want that, and all I want is my full loan approval when it's been over 30 days for application and we close in a week. Argh.
Crazy, isn't it? Good luck!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:12 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Glad it worked out for you.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Glad it worked out for you.
Thanks! Now I just have to find the right house, make an offer, get it accepted, and complete the closing process!

Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,102,445 times
I have heard that it takes much longer for banks to get the pre-approvals rather than using mortgage companies and brokers. So why would anyone use a bank?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I have heard that it takes much longer for banks to get the pre-approvals rather than using mortgage companies and brokers. So why would anyone use a bank?
Because I've never heard what you heard, and I received a preapproval quickly from the first bank I contacted.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:20 AM

19,879 posts, read 36,379,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyale96 View Post
It definitely shouldn't take that long. In fact many lenders can offer preapproval instantly, if you just meet a few requirements. I would look for a different lender if you're not getting the turn around you want. Here's a whole bunch of info on preapprovals: https://www.guardianmortgageonline.c...ation-analysis.

You need it (and a qualification letter) fairly quickly, so you can determine how much house you can afford.
You can get a pre-qualification instantly. That's the one that is basically "we're going on what we were told verbally and maybe a quick peek at the credit history" and it's not a pre-approval, as is explained in the link that you provided if you click on "What is a pre-approval?".

Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 AM

1,172 posts, read 540,465 times
Generally, a pre-approval can be a few days. I sent my bank our W-2, most recent paystubs, even our retirement account statement. They already have access to my checking. And I got a pre-approval in 3 days. Now I'm a go-getter so I told the bank (yes it's a big bank so you have to be on their tail at every step) that I wanted this to be done quickly.

So once I got a signed P&S, I asked them about the application and filled it the same day and faxed everythign to them the same day. Mind you I have about 45 days to close but still i'm on their case so they don't slip. I also know that they have other people to take care of that might be closing before me. But the bigger tha bank, the slower they go. If i knew better, I would have gone with a much smaller bank with better customer service. I'm an anxious person by nature, but sometimes when I have serious questions, I can't wait 24 hours. But i try to be mindful that the are also busy.

Next refi, I'm going with a much smaller lender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or