Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get a mortgage for a house I am buying from my parents. The bank is saying to use a Gift of Equity they want to see a Verification of Mortgage for 12 months from my parents on the property to make sure it isn't a bailout sale. My parents did miss a couple of payments in the last 6 months but they have gotten the mortgage current again. What's the best way to pose that to the Lender? Will that be a deal breaker for the mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,903 times
Why should your new bank care if its a bailout sale? Id be tempted to try and switch lenders and forget to mention you are buying from your parents, as it isn't really relevant, unless you are taking a big cash gift from them as well?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:37 AM

658 posts, read 724,131 times
the more info you give to the lender, the more roadblocks you set out for yourself to deal with. Don't disclose too much information in regards to buy for whom, why buying the house except stating it's a "primary residence" for you.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Why should your new bank care if its a bailout sale? Id be tempted to try and switch lenders and forget to mention you are buying from your parents, as it isn't really relevant, unless you are taking a big cash gift from them as well?
Its a preventative measure, to make sure the OP is not a straw buyer. ie, if the OP has no intention of moving in as their primary residence, be very, very cautious about proceeding.

To put it bluntly, why should the new lender take on a mortgage already in trouble?

Use caution, because lenders are arming themselves, building cases to prove mortgage fraud should the new loan go into default. Are you being asked to write certain statements? How about your parents? Are they moving? Are you moving? Are you willing to accept criminal charges for your family? (Many relatives do not know what they are asking).

Ask the title company to request a payoff. A payoff reflects the next due payment, without getting into the history.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Its a preventative measure, to make sure the OP is not a straw buyer. ie, if the OP has no intention of moving in as their primary residence, be very, very cautious about proceeding.

To put it bluntly, why should the new lender take on a mortgage already in trouble?

Use caution, because lenders are arming themselves, building cases to prove mortgage fraud should the new loan go into default. Are you being asked to write certain statements? How about your parents? Are they moving? Are you moving? Are you willing to accept criminal charges for your family? (Many relatives do not know what they are asking).

Ask the title company to request a payoff. A payoff reflects the next due payment, without getting into the history.
So like I said, relationship to the current owners is irrelevant.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:28 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
So like I said, relationship to the current owners is irrelevant.
No, it is very relevant. And it is the only way a gift of equity can be used. You cannot use a gift of equity with a total stranger.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo2626 View Post
I am trying to get a mortgage for a house I am buying from my parents. The bank is saying to use a Gift of Equity they want to see a Verification of Mortgage for 12 months from my parents on the property to make sure it isn't a bailout sale. My parents did miss a couple of payments in the last 6 months but they have gotten the mortgage current again. What's the best way to pose that to the Lender? Will that be a deal breaker for the mortgage?
Just wait until they have 12 months total good mortgage payments and try again. Help them pay it if you have to. If they have paid for 5 months you just have to wait 8 more. I would be troubled if they missed "a couple of payments in the last 6 months. Just missing 2 in 6 months is missing 33% of payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages