U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,161,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
There is always the chance of screwups. Back in 1985 I bought a house and the mortgage was sold 9 times in the first 4 months. We got a notice that our latest mortgage company required an escrow account and our payment was going to more than double. I asked what happened to the escrow account we setup when we closed 4 months ago. Nobody had any record of it anymore and said one of the prior companies must have used it for something and not told us.

We had the choice of funding the escrow account again or fighting a foreclosure.
I come across this problem a few times a month. The previous servicer didn't forward escrow information to the new servicer, lead to the mortgage late payments and going into foreclosure. The solution to this is following the paperwork trail from when the first escrow account was setup....

Your mortgage sold 9 times in the first 4 months, does seem excessive.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,330,192 times
Key to any mortgage company regardless if they are shady, not a bank etc is to keep ab eye on it. It's not a free payday if they don't cash that check. It is a big deal if you got a tax bill in the mail, don't assumed it's paid. Mark the due dates of your taxes and insurance on the calendar and check with the county AND insurance company that it has been paid. It's easy to go online and look.

If the mortgage company offers autopay, take it. If it doesn't. Get a bank that offers bill pay and pay through that so it's on record that it's sent and no excuses, "Oh it's in the mail...."

Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 AM

420 posts, read 518,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Key to any mortgage company regardless if they are shady, not a bank etc is to keep ab eye on it. It's not a free payday if they don't cash that check. It is a big deal if you got a tax bill in the mail, don't assumed it's paid. Mark the due dates of your taxes and insurance on the calendar and check with the county AND insurance company that it has been paid. It's easy to go online and look.

If the mortgage company offers autopay, take it. If it doesn't. Get a bank that offers bill pay and pay through that so it's on record that it's sent and no excuses, "Oh it's in the mail...."

Good idea momtothree. At first I thought I should send a check and make copies of them but I do use bill pay for other things and I should absolutely use them here.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:43 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,330,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Good idea momtothree. At first I thought I should send a check and make copies of them but I do use bill pay for other things and I should absolutely use them here.
Yes with something as important as a house (rent or own),I don't trust the mail. I always used their auto pay or bill pay or dropped off with a receipt. Everything else though, mail is fine if I had to. Good luck and hope your new servicer is a boring one.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:02 AM

3,625 posts, read 6,761,752 times
I assumed an FHA mortgage in 1989 that was serviced by Cenlar. Never had any trouble with it. Had the loan for about 4 years then refinanced with a different lender when interest rates went down.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 AM

420 posts, read 518,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I assumed an FHA mortgage in 1989 that was serviced by Cenlar. Never had any trouble with it. Had the loan for about 4 years then refinanced with a different lender when interest rates went down.
Thank you Okey Dokie. I am glad to hear that. I am hoping all goes well with ours too!

Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,011,768 times
Im so glad my mortgage was sold to US Bank lol. But, the REIT itself isnt an issue, theyre just another finance company making money like a bank does. Its this servicer youll have to keep an eye on as you already know.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:00 PM

636 posts, read 668,492 times
Just got turned over to Cenlar. Read numerous negative reviews on their mismanagement of escrow funds and "losing" payments. Sure enough, they are showing we owe a tax bill that was paid at closing. And we decided to test them and sent a payment in early. Again, sure enough, the transfer has cleared our bank but Cenlar has no record of it.
They have no one capable of helping when we call, no escrow department.
Already sent one round of certified letters, now shopping for lawyers.

And we thought Wells Fargo was difficult....

Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 PM

7,598 posts, read 17,623,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
Just got turned over to Cenlar. Read numerous negative reviews on their mismanagement of escrow funds and "losing" payments. Sure enough, they are showing we owe a tax bill that was paid at closing. And we decided to test them and sent a payment in early. Again, sure enough, the transfer has cleared our bank but Cenlar has no record of it.

File a complaint where it can do some good: Submit a complaint > Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Old 11-27-2015, 06:17 AM

421 posts, read 306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post

Cenlar was the first servicer of our mortgage. Because the payment auto-draft was set up for the last day of the month, due to holidays/Sundays/short months they frequently posted two payments in the same month. Their payment processing system managed to handle the P&I funds correctly, but the escrow deposits were treated differently and only made every other month. They were never able to explain this to my satisfaction, and I'm almost certain that at least one month of escrow payment didn't make it in the transfer to the new servicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or