U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,107 times

Advertisements

I co-own a house with a friend and co-worker in which we both live. We are both on the deed but only he is on the mortgage.

We purchased the house for $200,000 in 2013 and we put $50,000 each down. The house is now valued at around $285,000.

We have had a falling out in both the business and the responsibilities of the house as well.

A mutual friend has alerted me that he told him he took a mortgage out on the property for the equity in the home. My friend tells me his plan is to loot the full equity and then squat in the house till the bank takes the property.

He has never had me sign anything and I was under the impression he could not do that without my consent.

Is this legal in the state of TN? And if it is, what is my recourse as a co-owner of the property?

I am going to speak to a real estate lawyer tomorrow to see what can be done but I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a similar situation.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM

5,920 posts, read 10,451,397 times
Those records are usually available online & free. Might want to google your county name & "register of deeds". Definitely lawyer time in any case.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM

28,384 posts, read 67,971,595 times
This is less a real estate issue than potential community property. Are you married? You should be...

Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 PM

253 posts, read 235,928 times
I believe he can, in some cases, take out a mortage on his halfof the house. The bank can't foreclose but can put a lien on the house and you essentially have to buy his share from the bank if you want to sell.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,107 times
No we are not married. We're just two roommates who worked together and decided to buy a house because we had saved up some cash. My wife and I live in the one part of the house he lives in the other. Everything was going well until we had a falling out at work. I'm his boss and he's a higher level employee at my company.

If he stops paying the mortgage and goes into default, that's a big problem. I can pay the mortgage on my own but then he will just be getting me to pay the mortgage for free. I'd gladly take over the house from him and buy him out but not if he's already looted the equity

Old 06-30-2015, 05:57 AM

10,274 posts, read 6,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1972 View Post
No we are not married. We're just two roommates who worked together and decided to buy a house because we had saved up some cash. My wife and I live in the one part of the house he lives in the other.
Divorce your wife and marry him.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,333,983 times
This sounds like a mess. It goes without saying that with $50K down, you should have bought the house yourself.

Anyhow...did you have legal advice when you purchased the property together? How do you hold title--is it as Joint Tenants or as Tenants in Common? With Tenants in Common, each interest can be sold separately (without the approval or even knowledge of the other), so it might be possible for a lender to secure a loan against a Tenant in Common interest, although I've never personally encountered that. I rather doubt that a lender would knowingly do that.

You should first determine if your co-owner has, in fact, placed another mortgage on the property. Any mortgage would need to be recorded--but if it was done very recently, there may be a lapse in time when recorded documents show up in online (or even in-person) searches. Your local recorder's office should be able to tell you how current the records are kept.

Well, let us know what your attorney tells you. If it seems like this owner-relationship is going down the tubes, you may need to sue to force a sale and divide the proceeds.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 4,235 times
Is there any way to force a sale to me personally even at fair market value? Or would have to be sold to a separate individual?

Old 07-01-2015, 05:12 PM

7,602 posts, read 17,634,581 times
Attorney. Now.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:47 PM

6,360 posts, read 7,333,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1972 View Post
I am going to speak to a real estate lawyer tomorrow to see what can be done but I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a similar situation.
Well, what did your attorney have to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or