Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 22,061 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of buying my first home (I'm 31 yrs old). The house is ~$188K, I have an annual income of ~$45K. I have no debt and excellent credit. I've been approved for a 30 yr fixed mortgage at around 5.5%. I have ~$156K in cash assets (non-retirement), so I'm definitely going to put down at least 20% as a down payment to avoid PMI. I'm planning on staying in the house at least 7+ years.

The question is, is there any advantage to putting more than 20% down? I'm in a financial position where I could definitely afford to put 25, 30 or even 35% down, but is there any reason to do so?

Last edited by dan121; 01-25-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I'd recommend you google mortgage amortization calculators and plug in various down payment amounts and play around with the numbers. That should give you your answer.

Also, congratulations on being so financially smart! Enjoy your home.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I would also check on what your payments would be and the interest rate for a loan for 20 years and 15 years. The shorter the loan period the lower the rate. So you could still put down the 20% and stick the rest in savings to use in case of emergency. With the shorter term it will make the payments a bit higher but it makes the total interest paid out over the life of the loan MUCH lower. Your in a good position to weigh all of your options.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
Check out the area.....make sure it's not 'declining'.

I wouldnt want to put all my eggs in 1 basket...ESPECIALLY if the market is doing bad in that area.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 22,061 times
The area is stable.

What about putting 20% down at closing, and then pre-paying towards the principle later, either on a monthly or yearly basis? Any difference in doing it that way as opposed to putting down a larger chunk upfront?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan121 View Post
The area is stable.

What about putting 20% down at closing, and then pre-paying towards the principle later, either on a monthly or yearly basis? Any difference in doing it that way as opposed to putting down a larger chunk upfront?
Not really. Just make sure that it is in writting that you can pay off the loan early and that extra payments will be applied to the principle.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:31 PM

If you plan on paying extra towards the principal..then I would recommend getting an 'interest only' mortgage.
If you pay extra towards a 30yr fixed mortgage...this will only cut the years off the mortgage'.

If you pay extra towards the interest only...then you're basically paying interest on the ACTUAL money borrowered. You can save a lot more money this way.

5/1 Interest Only Arms are 4.875%-5.0%
7/1 I/O Arms are 5.125-5.25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan121 View Post
The area is stable.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM

372 posts, read 849,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
If you plan on paying extra towards the principal..then I would recommend getting an 'interest only' mortgage.
If you pay extra towards a 30yr fixed mortgage...this will only cut the years off the mortgage'.

If you pay extra towards the interest only...then you're basically paying interest on the ACTUAL money borrowered. You can save a lot more money this way.

5/1 Interest Only Arms are 4.875%-5.0%
7/1 I/O Arms are 5.125-5.25%
I really think it would be unwise to take an ARM with interest being as low as it is.

If you have another investment that is going to make you more than 5.5% that you can safely put your money into, then only put down 20%. If you're money is just sitting in a savings account earning nothing and you don't want to invest it elsewhere, put more down.

Since you said that you plan on holding onto the property for 7 years, I'd consider looking at a 15 year mortage. The difference in monthly payments is about $335/month. If you don't think you can invest your extra money elsewhere for over 8% (after taxes on yearly dividends and Interest Income), you'll come out nominally ahead after 7 years. The break even point is around 10 years for considering a 30 year mortgage if you can afford both. This is assuming that a 15 year fixed rated mortage is 5.0% w/ no points.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM

What's the point of putting down 20% and investing the rest to an investment account that is giving 5.5%?

That doesnt make sense...

With a mortgage your payments are 'front loaded' with the interest.
You will save a lot more money putting it towards your mortgage than trying to make money on it.

If a person knows they will stay there for max 7yrs...then the ARM can be fixed for 7yrs....they're only paying the interest on the mortgage they have. They're not going to be 'front loaded' as they would with a fixed rate mortgage.

Hey, I dont like Interest Only ARMs, and I only recommend it to someone who has a lot of assets...or who makes a lot of money.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:43 PM

372 posts, read 849,383 times
You'd put the extra into an investment account making MORE than 5.5% after taxes.

I would only considering an ARM if it was certain that you'd move within 7 years, the ARM was fixed for 7 years at a rate below available fixed rate mortgages, if I believed that the real estate market would appreciate in 7 years, and if closing costs for the ARM were similar or less than the fixed rate counter part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages