Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times

Advertisements

I live in western Oregon,my house is 60 years old with no foundation problems but I have been told that lenders no longer willingly give loans on pier and post foundations.It seems to me if the house has had no problems for 60 years,I shouldn't have to change it."If it ain't broke,don't fix it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 03:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
It could be that insurance companies won't insure them so mortgage companies won't finance them. Just because your house is fine doesn't mean they all are and they can't pick and choose which ones they can finance/insure because that could be considered discrimination so they have to exclude by an entire class of whatever, in your case post/pier homes.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times
Unhappy insurance?Serious question.

I called the company who insured the house by the former owner,had no problem getting insurance 5 years ago.This is a serious question-people around here are spending big bucks to put foundations under houses because they are being told they cannot get a mortgage with a post and pier.I want to sell this year but cannot afford to redo the foundation.My little house should sell for 180,000-200,000,it is very nice.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
I called the company who insured the house by the former owner,had no problem getting insurance 5 years ago.This is a serious question-people around here are spending big bucks to put foundations under houses because they are being told they cannot get a mortgage with a post and pier.I want to sell this year but cannot afford to redo the foundation.My little house should sell for 180,000-200,000,it is very nice.
5 years ago was 5 years ago. Insurance companies are changing their requirements all the time. After Katerina I am sure a lot of companies pulled out of doing those kinds of homes because they are usually located near water.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Shop around. there are thousands of houses on P & P foundations. there are lenders and insurers that will carry them. You may have to brace the posts or add some metal which is often not a good idea because it makes them too stiff so that they cannot flex like they are supposed to. We had to do that for insurance and then remove some of the "upgrades" because they were causing our floors to buckle. It is hard to explain why without drawing it. of course if you remove the "upgrades" you risk having claims denied. However nothing in our policy said that the upgrades had to be done or had to remain in place. It was just a condition of issuing the policy.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 23,014 times
I live in Idaho and have a home among many other pier pad and post foundation homes. I am trying to sell. My home was easily insured and I just within the year changed insurance companies. I am told FHA and FA will not approve a loan on it. It is a frame home, not manufactured. Can I be confident now that a conventional loan will approve it? If not, what in the world are all of we pier pad and post perfectly fine homeowners supposed to do at this time?

Old 04-07-2017, 07:54 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I am with a portfolio lender, who defaults to Fannie guidelines. I've been doing loans for 30 years and have not been told or read anything about this issue, we do loans in all 50 states, so it's not like there's been no exposure to this type of home.

Your buyers, when you sell, may be a narrow group, but I am betting financing will be available.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 23,014 times
Thank you. That is encouraging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages