Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times

Advertisements

If he can afford a second home, he can afford to be in the house he is currently upside down in.

Your friend is a thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:14 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Just shaking my head here..some people have no morals or scruples what so ever....

Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM

142 posts, read 999,427 times
Ok, I've been reading this, and just do be fair..maybe the situation is out of his control. Here's my scenario. My husband had a job transfer to another state. I have been here for months with 3 children. OUr house has lost over 100K in value. We now cannot sell for enough to pay off our mortgage. We are not planning on forecloseing as the bank says we can get another mortgage to all be together. We will rent our current house for half of what our mortgage payment is. We will buy a cheaper new house and tighten up and make it work. We will hope in a year or 2 the market will go up enough to let us sell at a break even. If for some reason, something unexpected happens with his job, and we cannot keep up 2 mortgages, we may be in a scenario that we need to foreclose on the first home. Does that make us irresponsible? Job changes happen. Like I said, hopefully it will not come to that for us and in no way would we ever want it to..but give the guy a break there may be more to it then just deciding to get rid of the house for kicks.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3inreno View Post
Ok, I've been reading this, and just do be fair..maybe the situation is out of his control. Here's my scenario. My husband had a job transfer to another state. I have been here for months with 3 children. OUr house has lost over 100K in value. We now cannot sell for enough to pay off our mortgage. We are not planning on forecloseing as the bank says we can get another mortgage to all be together. We will rent our current house for half of what our mortgage payment is. We will buy a cheaper new house and tighten up and make it work. We will hope in a year or 2 the market will go up enough to let us sell at a break even. If for some reason, something unexpected happens with his job, and we cannot keep up 2 mortgages, we may be in a scenario that we need to foreclose on the first home. Does that make us irresponsible? Job changes happen. Like I said, hopefully it will not come to that for us and in no way would we ever want it to..but give the guy a break there may be more to it then just deciding to get rid of the house for kicks.
The o/p also said his friend drained $80K of the equity 2 years ago
somehow I don't think it's a scenario like you are describing...that i can understand

Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The o/p also said his friend drained $80K of the equity 2 years ago
somehow I don't think it's a scenario like you are describing...that i can understand
Yes but he never stated what he did with that $80K equity. Is it sitting in the bank, or did he go on a cruise around the world? Perhapse he used it to pay off other debts, medical bills..

Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
This is pathetic. It doesn't sound like your friend is a very honest and moral person. Your friend sounds like someone who does not take responsibility seriously and doesn't hold himself accountable for his actions based on this. i would also think he will have an extremely hard time getting any kind of credit in his name after he forecloses on his first house. If I was his wife I would be furious at him and NOT do this and would be extremely worried if he were to ever leave especially with the house in just her name.

On a separate note why do i have this strange feeling more and more people are going to do this. Taking no responsibility for there own actions and instead just dumping their homes so someone else can pick up the pieces for them. This should somehow be illegal and those who are caught should pay BIG PENALTIES.
You know guys "take responsibility" and "accountable for his actions" is becoming hopelessly hackneyed. It tends to be right wing shorthand for what this guy did offends me.

I would in fact argue that it is a perfectly reasonable strategy to take care of his family and himself. You use the tools available to get the best outcome available. Sounds to me that is exactly what he did.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You know guys "take responsibility" and "accountable for his actions" is becoming hopelessly hackneyed. It tends to be right wing shorthand for what this guy did offends me.

I would in fact argue that it is a perfectly reasonable strategy to take care of his family and himself. You use the tools available to get the best outcome available. Sounds to me that is exactly what he did.
wooo, I thought right wing was, do what you can to get ahead, and screw everyone else? Dont blame the right wing for that attitude.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
YOu know.. while this may be morally reprehensible to some..I can see the logic.

This man may have children and a family! He may have had the best of intentions to refinance OUT of the ARM mortgage into a fixed rate only to be locked out by the tightening of restrictions AND the fact that he lost equity may have put him in a negative equity situation. Yes, he took out 80K in equity.. we don't know why. Probably NOT a smart move, although he couldn't see what was coming down the line.
So.. now he has kids and a wife.. He's probably a hard working otherwise good upstanding member of society. ..but he sees it coming. AND, who knows what the rental situation is like where he lives (I know on LI it just about stinks.. not enough of it to go around especially for a family with kids)
So.. he's doing what he can for his family. Of course, the rest of the world wants to berate and make judgements on this individual. Who is he sticking it to by allowing the foreclosure on the first home.. he's sticking it to the banks and the wall street people.. who should have known better being the financial geniuses they are supposed to be that allowed this diasaster of a market to occur in the first place.
He will be searching for a place.. a STABLE and constant home for his family if he gets booted from his 1st house.. the bank..they'll suffer some monetary loss.. but they will, in the end, be just fine and won't be without a true and stable home.
So.. while it SOUNDS morally reprehensible.. I can see why he'd do it because its the best thing for him and his family.. after all THEY COME FIRST and are more important than some rich billionare banks and CEO who would happily sell their mothers up the river for a profit.
Wish I was in the position to do what he's doing.. but unfortunately Im' not.. so I'm stuck... but if there was a way, I'd do it so that I can have a home for my kids.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
What your friend is doing amounts to fraud. Deliberately trying to scheme the bank is illegal. It is similar to trying to charge up the credit cards and filing BK. Unless your friend wants to risk going to jail if caught I suggest against it

Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 PM

People have been doing this since the beginning of financing history. Real estate investors cash out all the time to re-invest, and then occasionally pick and choose what properties they wish to continue to hold onto as the market changes.

The "shock" that people are having because this is being done by a "family man" is almost laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages