Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM

194 posts, read 237,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Is your lender a reputable, long time in the business LOCAL mortgage broker who is familiar with many local programs?

Or is your lender with an online company? Or is your lender at your local bank or credit union, and only knows THEIR programs?

If the former, then if your lender isn't any help, there probably aren't any local programs. But if either of the latter, you need to talk to a different lender.
I did talk to a different lender today, and he said there is a program that allows us to only put 1% down. I guess we are just going to wait until we can get the RD Loan.

Thank you all for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
And how do you even find these? Because my lender is not much of a help, AT ALL.
My DPA programs are in most states including MI. It's a low-revenue loan for lenders, but my take is that I would rather have 50% of something than 100% of nothing.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
My DPA programs are in most states including MI. It's a low-revenue loan for lenders, but my take is that I would rather have 50% of something than 100% of nothing.
I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:36 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
I'm not sure I know what you mean.
There are lenders who avoid Down Payment Assistance Program loans because these loans lack revenue for the Lender, relative to "normal" loans.

I will send you data on DPA programs in your state. These programs have lenders that they can refer to you.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
There are lenders who avoid Down Payment Assistance Program loans because these loans lack revenue for the Lender, relative to "normal" loans.

I will send you data on DPA programs in your state. These programs have lenders that they can refer to you.
Thank you kindly.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:07 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
MSHDA - Down Payment Assistance

National Faith HOME BUYERS | DOWN PAYMENT PROGRAM

Another $600K to Michigan for first-time homebuyer grants | 2015-05-15 | Grand Rapids Business Journal

Down Payment Assistance Loans in Kent County, MI

I pulled these up in less than 2 minutes. It's there, you may have to do a little digging. As you are finding, allocations run out towards year's end. But one thing is clear, you need to locate a knowledgeable loan officer, someone that is familiar with the programs. How do you find this treasure? Start looking closely at Realtor listings. Notice who is posting or advertising about gifts and grants. Then call that Realtor, with the goal to be prequalification by his/her lender. Chances are if you find a Realtor advertising one of these programs, you probably found an expert in the programs or someone with access to an expert. You may have to wait until the next allotment is issued.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
MSHDA - Down Payment Assistance

National Faith HOME BUYERS | DOWN PAYMENT PROGRAM

Another $600K to Michigan for first-time homebuyer grants | 2015-05-15 | Grand Rapids Business Journal

Down Payment Assistance Loans in Kent County, MI

I pulled these up in less than 2 minutes. It's there, you may have to do a little digging. As you are finding, allocations run out towards year's end. But one thing is clear, you need to locate a knowledgeable loan officer, someone that is familiar with the programs. How do you find this treasure? Start looking closely at Realtor listings. Notice who is posting or advertising about gifts and grants. Then call that Realtor, with the goal to be prequalification by his/her lender. Chances are if you find a Realtor advertising one of these programs, you probably found an expert in the programs or someone with access to an expert. You may have to wait until the next allotment is issued.
Yes, thank you. The lender I did talk to yesterday was talking about MSHDA. And from what I gather, a lot of these programs are more for the city homes available. I'm hoping to stay where I am.

Thanks for the help! We only have 2 more months before we can get a RD, it's not too far away.
I have just never heard of anyone actually getting any help like that and wondered if it really did happen, even through MSHDA it seems like it's hard to obtain.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 PM

32 posts, read 129,382 times
Quote:
If folks would provide their city and state, we can provide more specific information. But without it, only vague and overall general info can be provided.
I'm in Windsor Mill, MD

Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 PM

32 posts, read 129,382 times
Quote:
If folks would provide their city and state, we can provide more specific information. But without it, only vague and overall general info can be provided.
I have found a few programs, they vary by county. There are more funds available for those interested in living in Baltimore City and I am not interested in living there...it's changing but not enough for me to live there. In addition, I have attended homebuyers education classes and I am awaiting my 1 on 1 counseling that is required for most if not all these programs. Not all lenders participate in all programs so, people need to ask about what program works with.

My dilemma is that, I've seen homes that I thought I "loved" go into contract while I wait to complete the homebuyer education required for DPA...I'm hoping I haven't wasted time by waiting around for monies that may NOT be available. I wanted to buy this year or at least by February of 2016...I'm tired of staying with family...I want to be settled in my own place.

Sorry for the overshare...I never thought this would be so overwhelming!

Be well

Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 AM

143 posts, read 481,464 times
I'm in Charlotte, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages