Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPrincess View Post
No, I really can't and that's my concern. I just decided that I'm NOT going to run around, like a chicken with my head cut off, trying find another lender/appraiser. I believe that while it is a nice place, it could indeed be worth $112K, especially in this market.

I trust the current appraisal amount. The seller is going to have to lower the price to $112K, or it's a done deal. I'm very upset, but everything happens for a reason; so maybe I'll just enjoy the extra money from my raise while looking for another place.

Thanks you all for the feedback!
The previous posts have given you good financial advice that I agree with.
I would add that reading "I'm very upset", and "I'm practically in tears right now at work", suggests that the purchase is not right for you emotionally. It's not just the process. Your credit scores and low capitalization suggest the stress may continue after the transaction. If you don't have any emergency cash reserves, trying to stretch yourself to the breaking point will make you worry about meeting the mortgage, taxes, insurance, and unknown extras.

Take a breather from this until you calm down. In the interim, the seller will either be lucky enough to sell it or will have to consider coming down. Remember, the seller is now under the psychological pressure that his property did not appraise well. Most appraisals are good for six months. Therefore, if the seller comes down to your price, ask the new mortgage company to use the current appraisal and waive any additional fee. Also, save as much as you can to increase either your down payment or cash reserves.

Finally, remember it is an old business adage that you can not negotiate well if you are emotionally involved. Start convincing yourself that you don't really need this place and you weaken the position of adversaries. If you can communicate that you don't really give a ****, they lose their ability to stress you out. There are plenty of opportunities out there. Be patient and one will come to you eventually and you will be in a better position to buy with confidence. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 01:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
My credit report was pulled, by my lender, in mid December. I close at the end of this month . My credit score from December was right AT the minimum qualified score for this loan package.

I pay for a service that sends me quarterly updates of my credit scores. Last night, I received the update and my scores dropped . I don't understand why! There's NO new collections or past due records and in fact, I paid off a bunch of collection accounts which were removed from my report. If anything, I expected my scores to be higher, not lower. So I'm very afraid that this will put me under the minimum qualification for this loan package now.

My question is: Is it likely that the lender will pull my updated credit report with the lower scores before I close, or will they just use the report/scores from December?

Would my lower scores make a difference even though there are NO new debts or collection items on my updated report??? I don't want to send red flags to the mortgage company by calling about this if I don't have to...but I also don't want to get any last minute surprises before or at closing.
Your score will change depending on what parameters are being looked at. While your score to you, may have dropped, its likely that to the bank they wont because they dont look at some things like medical bills etc.

In addition, when the bank pulled your score, it could have been the trigger to lower your score.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,504 times
Default Dont Freak

Credit reports are very hard to read and many things effect them. Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by christina0001; 02-04-2008 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Quote:
No, I really can't and that's my concern. I just decided that I'm NOT going to run around, like a chicken with my head cut off, trying find another lender/appraiser. I believe that while it is a nice place, it could indeed be worth $112K, especially in this market.
I trust the current appraisal amount. The seller is going to have to lower the price to $112K, or it's a done deal. I'm very upset, but everything happens for a reason; so maybe I'll just enjoy the extra money from my raise while looking for another place. Thanks you all for the feedback!
Wise choice. Think of it this way: you might actually find a better place at a better price at a better mortgage rate. A few years ago I put offers on a couple different properties that didn't work out. I'm happy now, because waiting put me in a much better situation. Maybe it's just your guardian angel looking out for you

Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,257 times
Why would you want to buy a condo that you have been told is not worth what you seem to be willing to pay for it. Keep looking.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 AM

32 posts, read 58,203 times
Lightbulb Update :)

After taking a breather, and getting a lot of advice, I'm kind of happy that this seems to not be working out. So how do I get out of this deal? I'm under contract, but at this point, I don't want the condo anymore. I could find a better place and mortgage in a few months or so.

I'm already out about $650 for the appraisal and inspection, but I also have $2K in Escrow. So if I back out of this, stating the low appraisal amount as the reason, the seller wouldn't get to keep my money would she??

Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
depends on what your contract says.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
After taking a breather, and getting a lot of advice, I'm kind of happy that this seems to not be working out. So how do I get out of this deal? I'm under contract, but at this point, I don't want the condo anymore. I could find a better place and mortgage in a few months or so.

I'm already out about $650 for the appraisal and inspection, but I also have $2K in Escrow. So if I back out of this, stating the low appraisal amount as the reason, the seller wouldn't get to keep my money would she??
Talk to your real estate agent, and at the very least, use the appraisal to help re-negotiate the purchase greement. Might need to convert this to a short sale purchase.

Most buyers add a clause, depending up financing, or appraisal. Either way you should be fine because its tough to get a loan for more then the appraised value. It does depend if this was added to the purchase agreement though.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM

32 posts, read 58,203 times
The contract doesn't say anything about an appraisal. It just says that I'm held liable if I'm being uncooperative or negligent in obtaining a mortgage. I guess I'll just need to read it over again, but to my initial understanding of the contract, if I’m not able to get a mortgage (through no direct fault of my own) I’m entitled to get my Escrow money back.

I’m assuming that a low appraisal would be a cause for this. But by me telling my realtor that I don’t want to try another mortgage company and pay for another appraisal that may come back at the same amount, is that being “uncooperative”?

P.S. What's a "Short Sale"?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
The contract doesn't say anything about an appraisal. It just says that I'm held liable if I'm being uncooperative or negligent in obtaining a mortgage. I guess I'll just need to read it over again, but to my initial understanding of the contract, if I’m not able to get a mortgage (through no direct fault of my own) I’m entitled to get my Escrow money back.

I’m assuming that a low appraisal would be a cause for this. But by me telling my realtor that I don’t want to try another mortgage company and pay for another appraisal that may come back at the same amount, is that being “uncooperative”?

P.S. What's a "Short Sale"?
You can tell your realtor that you are willing to try another mortgage company, but you can't afford to pay for another appraisal. That is not being "uncooperative". If the seller is smart he will pay for another appraisal, because BOTH your realtor and the seller know the house won't qualify you for a loan with a bad appraisal. Even if they do offer to pay for the appraisal, make sure you pick an appraiser you trust. You need to guard against them slipping in somebody they know will inflate the appraisal. Good luck. By the way, remind yourself AND the realtor that they are supposed to be representing YOU, not the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages