Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all, first time poster here.

I am in the process of refi-ing my primary residence. I've got the following options for refinance:

All are conventional loans:
30 or 25 yr @ 3.875 - closing cost: 2600
20 @ 3.625 - closing cost: 2250
15 @ 3.0 - closing cost: 2300

The 15 year payment is about $30 more than what I am paying in my current 30 year, which is not a problem for me to pay. If I take the 25 or 30 my plan is to pay it like a 15 year loan regardless.

Although this is my primary residence currently my long term plan is to hold the property when I am ready or need to move and use it as a rental property. I've run the amortization charts on all these so I have reviewed how the #s work out but I'm not sure what the right strategy is here given my plan.

My instinct is to take the lowest rate but at the same time it feels like I should consider one of the longer terms to allow flexibility in the payment, in the case that I elect to mortgage another property to live in.

I'm also struggling with the 'what ifs' e.g. "what if it turns out a I don't like being a landlord?"

The 3.0 looks so juicy but I wanted to get some feedback from some knowledgeable folks to make sure I'm thinking about the right decision criteria. I also want to ensure I'm not making decisions based on emotion.

I've already locked these rates so I need to make a decision on this within the next couple days. I really appreciate any thoughts you can share.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,317,667 times
None of those rates exist without significant buydown.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

Actually they do exist without buy down, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry your credit isn't very good.

Anybody else have anything constructive to add?

Old 11-11-2015, 07:24 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,201 times
A 15 yr. would save you a ton of interest.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
There is no right decision unless you have a crystal ball. Since you plan to pay your mortgage as if it's a 15 years anyway, choosing a 30 years gives you some flexibility but will cost you about $12K every 5 years.

It's a personal choice question if you qualify for either 15 or 30 years.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:14 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
Those are incredible rates. I refi'd to a 12 year loan about a year ago, and have an 820 credit score, but the best I could find was 3.74%. But that was with no closing costs. The best I could find with me paying closing costs was about the same rate on a 15 year loan, though.

If I could have gotten a 15 year at 3% with only $2300 in closing costs, I would have asked "where do I sign"?

Personally, I'd get the shortest loan, with the lowest interest rate, that I could comfortably afford. If the 15 year means you can't put money in your retirement funds or save for emergencies, then I'd go longer. But if you have a decent cushion and the 15 year isn't a stretch, I'd take it and save on the interest.

But you mentioned buying another house and making this one a rental. So you'll want to make sure that the refi loan doesn't require you to occupy. You also may be better off making the lower payments on a 30 year loan, and saving the difference for the down payment on another house, since interest rates could go up (they almost couldn't go down from here), you would be better off putting as much down as possible, rather than borrowing at a higher rate.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:42 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrazthatpaz View Post

I am in the process of refi-ing my primary residence. I've got the following options for refinance:

The 15 year payment is about $30 more than what I am paying in my current 30 year, which is not a problem for me to pay. If I take the 25 or 30 my plan is to pay it like a 15 year loan regardless.

Although this is my primary residence currently my long term plan is to hold the property when I am ready or need to move and use it as a rental property. I've run the amortization charts on all these so I have reviewed how the #s work out but I'm not sure what the right strategy is here given my plan.

My instinct is to take the lowest rate but at the same time it feels like I should consider one of the longer terms to allow flexibility in the payment, in the case that I elect to mortgage another property to live in.

I'm also struggling with the 'what ifs' e.g. "what if it turns out a I don't like being a landlord?"

The 3.0 looks so juicy but I wanted to get some feedback from some knowledgeable folks to make sure I'm thinking about the right decision criteria. I also want to ensure I'm not making decisions based on emotion.

I've already locked these rates so I need to make a decision on this within the next couple days. I really appreciate any thoughts you can share.

Cheers.
If you still would have a 6 month emergency fund, I'd say pick the 15 year, otherwise do the 20 or 30 year.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:53 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,208,776 times
why would you pay closing costs?? you don't have to with a slightly higher rate and it normally takes years to recoup closing costs...

Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
That's an interesting comment. I just got 3.5% with a lender credit leaving closing costs at about 1400, could have done 3.25 if I wanted to pay .4 points. This funded on 10-26 and I know rates change but I find it hard to believe it would be that drastic of a difference.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:14 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrazthatpaz View Post

Cheers.
If you have run out the numbers you should have a clear answer. Numbers are simple to look at, what is your total interest payment on the 3 options, how long do you plan on living there, if you are going to rent it eventually what is the current rental rate on the unit, and what is your current interest to the end of the current loan. Once you figure all that add closing costs to the interest and pick the cheapest option that fits your goals, you never want to go negative cash on a rental so keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages