Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,595 times

Advertisements

Just walk away from that mortgage...

Like many on this board, we live our lives within our means. We were not happy when rates went up to 5 7/8% back in '05 for a fixed rate conforming 30 yr. mortgage, but we sucked it up. I drive a 13 year old car we bought used that has been paid off for 5 years. The wife's car has been paid off for two years+. We pay the credit cards off each month, etc, etc. Shame on me for not gambling for that big payoff, shame on me to not be in a position where I choose to walk away from a RESPONSIBILITY that affects untold numbers of others, shame on me... OK, where's my oxygen?

Anyways, anyone care to comment. I am preachin' to the majority of the choir, but I want a "responsible family reward act of 2007" tax break or something. I earned it as much, if not more, then the &*^&ing flakes that are getting the gift of the "Mortgage Debt Relief Act of 2007!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I sympathize with you. I live under my means so I can feel secure financially.
To read that about folks just walking away and not taking the responsibility does irk me.

We'll be paying for this housing/credit fiasco for years to come.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
If people start feeling that behavior is acceptable and doing it in earnest, property values will plummet.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
Anyways, anyone care to comment. I am preachin' to the majority of the choir, but I want a "responsible family reward act of 2007" tax break or something. I earned it as much, if not more, then the &*^&ing flakes that are getting the gift of the "Mortgage Debt Relief Act of 2007!!!"
X2
Well said! I vote for that
Thank you

Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:

Like many on this board, we live our lives within our means. We were not happy when rates went up to 5 7/8% back in '05 for a fixed rate conforming 30 yr. mortgage, but we sucked it up. I drive a 13 year old car we bought used that has been paid off for 5 years. The wife's car has been paid off for two years+. We pay the credit cards off each month, etc, etc. Shame on me for not gambling for that big payoff, shame on me to not be in a position where I choose to walk away from a RESPONSIBILITY that affects untold numbers of others, shame on me... OK, where's my oxygen?

They are just being forgiven the tax consequences of forgiven debt. I dont see this as that big of a deal. If someone gives you cash as a loan and they forgive the debt it would make sense that you should pay income tax on that. However in the case of a respossessed house it doesnt necessarily make sense.

People walked away from their houses in Austin in the 80's as well. Use the opportunity to invest and get stocks and realestate for cheap.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
They are just being forgiven the tax consequences of forgiven debt. I dont see this as that big of a deal. If someone gives you cash as a loan and they forgive the debt it would make sense that you should pay income tax on that. However in the case of a respossessed house it doesnt necessarily make sense.

People walked away from their houses in Austin in the 80's as well. Use the opportunity to invest and get stocks and realestate for cheap.

It is the same idiots who will wake up when they are 65 and wonder how they will retire. I fear I will be assisting them then also . I know it is hard to SAVE, when the neighbor just bought a new BIG screen TV for each room in their house, the newest BMW and a really cool boat to take to the Lake...and I toooo really want those things....agh I'll just save more next year...RIGHT

Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:

I will LOVE to see the responsible family reward act put in place. Hubby and I live within our means. We spent our money responsibly and not on foolish things that go out of style in a year. We don't own the latest fads when it comes to our home and our vehicles. It frustrates and upsets me when people make foolish financial decisions.

heck I have a cousin who just purchased a $1500 snowblower for her 1 car driveway because she doesn't have to pay for it for one whole year (yah obviously she doesn't UNDERSTAND the rules of no payments for one year - tried to explain it to her and she said oh I know I'll definitely pay it off before the year ends - RIGHT! )

Oh and my favorite was when a coworker of mine took his entire family (4 kids) on a 2 week vacation, okay fine, but when he returned he said he wasn't able to make his mortgage payment because he didn't have any money. GRRR!!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
I totally get what you are saying. It frustrates me also ; I ahve a small business and trying to get people to pay for their service ; once a customer asked me to come to his door on a sat morning to pick up an overdue balace ; it was about $300.

In his driveway there was a new porshe, a mercedes, and he didnt answer the door. I called him from his driveway and he answered. i jsut told him I was at the door. Yes, he did give me the check but it was 5 months overdue.

I was driving a 8 year old ford explorer!! It frustrates me to no end when you see people buying fancy cars, huge tv,s going on fancy vacations, having all the name brand things ; and then declaring bankruptcy. People want it all now and are not willing to pay for it.

We need to change our ideas and our opinions.
d

Old 02-07-2008, 01:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
When we purchased our first home in 1980, the interest rate set at 17 3/4 %. We were not happy campers, but camp we did without new furniture or a new car purchased with a second. We always had a golden rule to never take a second on our home, it was sacred. To own a home free and clear was a goal we had early on. We own two homes now free and clear and it feels much better to have a roof over our heads than having two new cars and a boat, etc. The entitlement mentality today really scares me and looks a little like Rome before it fell. Well, let them eat cake, buy homes they can't afford and drive that BMW off into the sunset.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Then people wander why the same people make the same mistakes time after time.I really doubt he drives off into the sunset as he is moving to the same problem he thinks he is avoiding.Once you con yourself ;it's downhill from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages