Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 04:10 PM

311 posts, read 633,379 times

Advertisements

Is there somewhere reliable for a consumer to watch rates?

I have googled rate sheets and get somewhat of an idea that way.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 PM

8,669 posts, read 22,853,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post

Thanks
Many lending sites have an option to notify you when a rate hits a certain target.

But for day to day, there is not a site for free or a quick glance. Many loan officers subscribe to a rate advisory service. Or, some of us that have been around for awhile, know what to look at to gauge if things are about to move. Long time ago, we use to watch the 30 year Treasury.......but recent years, rates have been focused on the 10 year.....recently, I heard attention may shift to the 5 year, but don't worry about it today (however, if it's 2020 when you are reading here, it may no longer be the 10 year).

As the yield on the 10 year treasury goes down, mortgage interest rates do as well, and visa versa. Today, I want to say the 10 year was at 1.77% before markets opened (so that 1.77℅ would have been the prior day's close). January 1st we were at 2.25%. Today, the 10 year closed at 1.72℅. To tell you how much it needs to move though to impact mortgage rates, however, is uncharted territory. Secondary managers everywhere are really super cautious to trust our current downturn in rates. One thing I have learned is to get your data from the same place daily. Some round up and some pull the rate before markets close or some are live 24/7, even though the market is not open.

There are several good sites open to all - I'm sure others have great sites to share. I check the 10 year a couple times a day on my phone, so I can keep in touch.

U.S. 10 Year Treasury - US10Y - Stock Quotes

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...Year&year=2016

Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 AM

939 posts, read 2,374,539 times
As a consumer, one site I follow is Mortgage News Daily. One of the drop downs is "Current Mortgage Rates" which is updated every afternoon. However, there are lots of articles about the bond markets and other financial information that influences mortgage rates.

Mortgage News Daily - Mortgage And Real Estate News

Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,106,022 times
Quote:

Thanks
What are you trying to accomplish...purchase, refi, new construction, or just general knowledge??

Old 02-17-2016, 01:43 PM

311 posts, read 633,379 times
Purchase. Plus just curious so watch them as the spring buying season starts up.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,781,765 times
Rates change throughout the day. Are you going to watch rates like stocks. If you think you can predict rates, you can predict stocks. If you can predicts stocks, you'd be so rich you wouldn't have to watch rates.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:46 PM

8,669 posts, read 22,853,798 times
They ticked up today...to 1.81%, which is surprising, the FOMC acknowledged economic concerns, which would normally create a rally. Economic Calendar - Bloomberg (click on FOMC minutes from 2pm today)
Tomorrow could be bumpy, Treasuries auctions occur and weekly unemployment.......Friday is CPI, which gauges inflation. If prices are going up,that means wages and rates should/could go also up....the end of another week.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:37 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,106,022 times
Quote:
Purchase. Plus just curious so watch them as the spring buying season starts up.
Just follow one lender's website (i.e. Wells Fargo, US Bank, Bank of America or any sizable mortgage lender in your area that publishes rates daily) and you can see how they are trending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages