Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oops
Oops 3 100.00%
Didn't mean to post a poll 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM

42 posts, read 145,911 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads. I am looking to understand if I'm missing something obvious about choosing between two banks/lock-in scenarios.

There are various lock-in scenarios offered by various large banks. The two banks I am considering offer the following:
  • Bank1: Lock in today/ASAP, with 6-month lock, 1 point "deposit"
  • Bank2: Lock in within 45 days of closing, with 60-day lock
The buying scenario is the following:
  • new construction
  • 4-5 months are needed to finish off the house being built
  • Bank in scenario 2 offers small discounts (couple hundred dollars on fees, and 0.1% on rate)
  • most other costs are a wash
  • assume banks' service is a wash as well
I am assuming that the main consideration is which way I think interest are going, and so I should look at what risk I am willing to take on rate direction.

A second consideration might be that I will know better the closing schedule as the months go on, and so the Bank2 scenario gives me a better chance of making sure I'm within the lock window (vs. closing date) when I lock-in, thereby avoiding a fee to re-float.

A third consideration would be whether (assuming I wait until closer to closing) a much higher interest rate will affect the bank's perception of my ability to pay back the loan that they had approved me for.

But am I missing something else obvious as far as what to consider?

[By the way, if these are three things I need to consider and nothing else, then since I do not know which way rates are going, and I'm not a confident predictor of such, I'm thinking I should take the "sure" discounts and just go with scenario 2.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 PM

SORRY, I didn't mean to click on the poll button

Old 02-08-2008, 02:28 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
by the way..you lose the point.

i would rather wait till around the closing date.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the insight. I coulda sworn he told me that goes toward all the costs, but thanks for pointing out. Shows I need to dig more, and learn better.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:30 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
it does goes towards the closing costs....but if you walk away you lose it.

you pay upfront...so it's a wash at the closing table.

it's like paying the appraisal outside of closing....
You pay 350 to the appraiser...and on the HUD you will see the 350 fee...but next to it you will see POC paid outside of closing.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks, that's the impression I was under. The deposit would be a dis-incentive to me so that I would not walk away.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 PM

57 posts, read 209,779 times
I have a similar offer from the builder's captive finance company: lock whenver you want & they will lock the rate while the house is being built. There's one opportunity for a float down within 30 days of closing. I do not know what the cost associated with this is, but based on what you're talking about, it could be a "deposit" of 1%? The builder is Drees Homes in the DFW area & their bank is First Equity Mortgage.

Any insights on this program, why one would/would not want to do it?

I have great credit (750 plus), would be doing a standard mortgage with between 10-15% down. Have not yet negotiated price or closing costs, as for all I know my company that would be relocating us if we do this deal might pay something: offer letter is to come in the next few days. Loan amount would be a bit more than $200k on a $250k approximately (likely a bit less, we haven't spec'd options yet) home.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages