Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Refinancing does not necessarily cost you anything, at least monetarily. The lender can provide a credit to you to cover closing fees (which may or may not lead to a higher rate), AND you can lower your rate relative to your current rate. There is still a significant cost in time and effort, even if things go smoothly, that you have to consider.

Refinancing cost money.. period. No one works for free.

One can offset the cost in some sort of credit or by having a lower interests rate. Refinancing cost nothing only if you were to refinance and pay off the new balance immediately and it is no more than if you would have pay off the mortgage entirely without refinancing. There are cases when the credit may cover the expense of refinancing but the bottom line is refinancing cost money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:01 PM

497 posts, read 428,268 times
OK. Yes, the new mortgage would of course costs you money, just like your current mortgage costs you. However back in the real world, the 'cost' is any one time expenses for the new mortgage and the 'benefit' is saving relative to the mortgage you are refinancing. My point was that you can get a zero closing cost refinance, in which case there is no 'cost' to offset with 'benefits', with the exception of your time and effort to go through the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Refinancing cost money.. period. No one works for free.

One can offset the cost in some sort of credit or by having a lower interests rate. Refinancing cost nothing only if you were to refinance and pay off the new balance immediately and it is no more than if you would have pay off the mortgage entirely without refinancing. There are cases when the credit may cover the expense of refinancing but the bottom line is refinancing cost money.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:06 PM

97 posts, read 118,896 times
Quotes do not take into consideration of prepaid interest, escrow, recording fees. Your quote likely covers origination fee, title, appraisal. Thats if you use their preferred title company. You could find a cheaper title company that could reduce costs, but not likely more than a few hundred bucks.

So expect more money you need at closing on prepaids and escrow. Lender credit you are receiving is similiar to what they offered me if I took 3.375% for 30 fixed.

Im currently in the process of a refi with Sebonic Financial through Zillow Marketplace. We plan to sign closing docs this coming Wed, meaning we will be closing in 20 days total. Ive been impressed with them and their process/communication so far.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:20 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
Sounds like a good deal to me, I'd go through with it. Just make sure they are not just rolling extra fees into your principal. Taken at face value, sounds like a good deal.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,285 times
So i spoke to them again today and they assured me that there were no additional fees that would be rolled into the principal. In fact, here's the itemized list of closing costs they gave me:

$1088 lender's title insurance
$ 375 settlement fee
$ 75 CPL fee
$ 333 recording fee
$ 35 miscellaneous (overnight mail)
$ 425 appraisal
$ 40 credit report
$ 16 flood certificate
$ 395 processing fee

Looks like this really would only cost me $250 and the only other cash i would need at closing is any unpaid interest and money to fund the new escrow amount which could be around $4000-$5000. It seems like that would be a wash though as I wouldn't have a May or June payment.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to move forward with this re-fi, keeping in mind all the things you guys mentioned.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:50 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachtriv View Post
So i spoke to them again today and they assured me that there were no additional fees that would be rolled into the principal. In fact, here's the itemized list of closing costs they gave me:

$1088 lender's title insurance
$ 375 settlement fee
$ 75 CPL fee
$ 333 recording fee
$ 35 miscellaneous (overnight mail)
$ 425 appraisal
$ 40 credit report
$ 16 flood certificate
$ 395 processing fee

Looks like this really would only cost me $250 and the only other cash i would need at closing is any unpaid interest and money to fund the new escrow amount which could be around $4000-$5000. It seems like that would be a wash though as I wouldn't have a May or June payment.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to move forward with this re-fi, keeping in mind all the things you guys mentioned.
Could you PM me a link to where you found this deal? I'd like to look into it!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Not three days after closing, three days after loan documents have been signed. A bank or lender cannot fund the loan until the rescision period is over.
We call the signing of documents "closing" and the day money is disbursed is "funding.". The Note and other Instruments are dated when signed, ergo, date closed. Funding occurs if the borrowers does not change their minds about financing their residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages