Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 09:37 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,438 times

Advertisements

When I bought the house 3.5 years ago, the inspector marked as needing a new furnace, water heater and roof. I've replaced the water heater but am hesitant to replace the furnace due to the cost and my holding period. Same with the roof. I am not sure what the threshold is for getting a mortgage with an older roof. I bought the house with FHA financing so it was inspected by an FHA inspector but no issues with roof, just some paint and railings here and there around steps, etc.

The reason I ask is because the house is a rental and pouring money into it for a new roof will effect my profits enough that I'd rather avoid replacing it. But at the same time, I may be forced to replace it for the sake of the seller being able to get financing for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
If it passed FHA inspection three years ago AND there has been no signficant "damage event" odds are that the roof will STILL pass FHA inspection. Even if there was a "damage event" making patches / repairs to the areas in the worst shape may be a more cost effective way to ensure FHA compliance.

The basic stance of a "home inspector" is to point out to buyers what items are "nearing the end of their lifespan" which is different than the task of FHA inspector which is to ensure that the home will provide buyers with a safe shelter. Unless the roof is literally failing it is unlikely that a lender would require replacement.

It is unlikely that a new roof would increase the value of the home as much as the total cost of the roof, however depening on likely local competition it may be make sense to determine if a new roof might help the home sell more quickly / a bigger pool of buyers.

When you factor your local market conditions you may decide that it makes sense to discount the home with the assumption that the new buyer would rather get a bargain and then put on their own roof / do other upgrades.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:24 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,438 times
OK, so even if financing isn't an issue, buyers may be turned off or ask for a discount as you stated. Trouble is how would I know the financing will be an issue before trying to sell? Trying to get a roofer to replace the house while it's listed is going to cost even more due to the time constraint.

It costs 8K to replace the roof but maybe I should just do it for the sake of being able to sell it. Will really depend on how much I have to spend to turn the interior from the damage tenants seem to always cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages