Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,141 times

Advertisements

Here's a little background:

I'm a registered nurse. I graduated in 2014 and have been employed full-time ever since.

In March of this year, I switched jobs to be a "travel" nurse at a local hospital. My area is SO desperate for nurses, they are hiring travelers to take the patient load and I decided to cash in on this -- my pay rate literally doubled from my first full-time job. The only thing is, I'm only technically guaranteed work for 13 week contracts at a time. However, I have coworkers who are travelers and who have been there for over 3 years, so my employment is incredibly reliable (or we wouldn't be purchasing a home).

My husband and I are under contract with a home. We are getting a conventional mortgage. We are putting down 5% but we have 10% to put down if need be. Our credit is in the high 700s and our DTI is 39% (with our new mortgage payment included).

My loan is going to the underwriter tomorrow and I'm terrified he will bulk at my "full-time contracted employee" title. My loan originator already got a verification of employment, and made it seem like they didn't need anything further. He said we are "golden" and doesn't foresee any red flags at all from the underwriter. I'm just having such anxiety that the underwriter won't like the "contracted" part of my title and deny our loan.

Do you think this is a big deal since they already have completed the VOE? What are our odds of getting denied? We are supposed to close next week and have invested a lot of nonrefundable money into this, so I'm just terrified something bad will happen.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM

Anyone have any success stories ??

Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM

55 posts, read 60,450 times
This is a situation that can really depend on your underwriter. They could consider it a new field and not use it because it hasn't been there for a 2 years, but also the underwriter could view it as a move within the same field and have it be fine. Having your pay jump is a point in your favor because it could be viewed as a vertical move in your field.

I would just trust your Loan Originator. If they feel that your situation is safe with your VOE then it most likely is. I wouldn't feel anxious though. Trust the process and make sure to keep in contact with your Loan Officer.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:45 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Yeah why stress about it. It's out of your control.

IF a situation comes up where it is an issue for the underwriter, then deal with it then. Otherwise worry and stressing about it is pointless.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:11 AM

11 posts, read 10,346 times
If the job situation is documented properly plus an excellant explanation from you as to why you started doing travel nurse work, you should be ok. Being in the mortgage industry for 30 years, I have seen this type of contract and sometimes the underwriter might want a letter from the employer as to probability of continued employment, other than that you should b e good

Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcgee View Post
This is a situation that can really depend on your underwriter. They could consider it a new field and not use it because it hasn't been there for a 2 years, but also the underwriter could view it as a move within the same field and have it be fine. Having your pay jump is a point in your favor because it could be viewed as a vertical move in your field.

I would just trust your Loan Originator. If they feel that your situation is safe with your VOE then it most likely is. I wouldn't feel anxious though. Trust the process and make sure to keep in contact with your Loan Officer.
Not sure how it could be considered a new field because I was in nursing school for 3 years, then was an RN for 1.5 years, now I'm still an RN at my new job. My title has just changed from "full-time regular employee" to "full-time contracted employee".

But thanks everyone for your perspective! I am just extremely anxious as it is and buying a house is not for the weak LOL

Old 08-16-2016, 11:58 AM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsmom313 View Post
I am just extremely anxious as it is and buying a house is not for the weak LOL
No, ma'am, it certainly IS NOT for the weak. And even when you get through the underwriting process, there will be something else keeping you up at nights.

Will the inspection be OK?
Will the appraisal be at or above sale price?
Will there be any last minute bomb shells immediately before closing?
Should I do curtains or blinds or both?

I am buying new construction but my house won't be finished before I have to vacate my current home. I called my mortgage loan processor again today to make sure they have everything they need because I don't want to be homeless. LOL I encourage you to do the same and don't worry about bugging them. The more informed you are the better you will feel. Keep on top of them as opposed to them keeping on top of you. After I spoke to my guy this afternoon and finding out he only needed standard documents (most current pay stubs, bank statements) I knew that I'd be sleeping better tonight.

Tomorrow night will be a different story.

Congrats on the home and fingers crossed your contractor status won't raise any eyebrows! Keep us posted!

Old 08-16-2016, 02:06 PM

I already heard from the underwriter after only a few hours --- APPROVED! So excited! We close next Friday ��

Old 08-16-2016, 05:58 PM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsmom313 View Post
I already heard from the underwriter after only a few hours --- APPROVED! So excited! We close next Friday ��
Yay!!

Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
Awesome congrats! I'm in the same boat as you. Similar financial background/ title but dif industry. Hope I get approval as well from the bank lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages