U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM

46 posts, read 167,808 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a knowledgable and helpful bunch visiting this thread. So here's my situation. Fiance and I gross about 160000 (getting married in July). Starting to look at affordablility calculators. Each time I punch the number in I get a different amount. What is the general rule for affordability? Here are our numbers:

Gross Salary - 160000 (5 years it will be around 190000)
Debt - about 10,000 in cc, paying it off now
Car payment - 300 a month, other car is paid off
Saving - none because we have been paying off debt
My credit is around 720, future wife is Canadian (hasn't established credit Is this a problem? Or can we just rely on mine?

By the end of the summer, we will be debt free and then we will start saving. We have the ability to sock away 3000-4000 when cc's are done.
I hope to start seriously start looking by next Christmas. I have been reading about FHA loans and they sound good. We live on Long Island and are both teachers. Any programs for teachers and what is the benefit? My Community program? Is not having the 20 percent a major problem? Lastly, we are looking at spending max 450000. I realize this is all over the place, but any questions you can would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 05:18 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,097,275 times
The lack of a FICO is not an issue with FHA, depnding on your fiance's immigration status. She would need to show 3 alternate tradelines in her name (joint is ok) and paid on time for 12 months. Rent, car insurance, cell phone bill, utilities, etc. can all be used as alternate tradelines. However, if she can't show rent for 12 months then she will need 4 alternate tradelines. If you do not use her credit to qualify, then you cannot use her income either.

As far as what you can afford, use a 31% housing debt to income ratio. Use 1% of the loan amount divided by 12 to figure the insurance (a bit high but better safe), 0.5% of the loan amount divided by 12 for the mortgage insurance, and property tax records are readily available online so you should be able to find tax rates on the types of homes you are looking at.

According to my calculations, you can afford a $4133 a month PITI payment. This would include taxes, hazard insurance, mortgage insurance, SIDs, LIDs, PUD fees, and HOA fees. Including your car payment, your total debt to income ratio would be just over 33%, so you would be ok there.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Thanks for you unput. I really appreciate it. I'm still about nine months away from serious looking, but this is real helpful!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Silly question, but can her tradelines be bills and cc's with Canadian companies and a Canadian address?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:30 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,097,275 times
I believe so, as long as you have the most recent 12 months cancelled checks or can get some sort of documentation from the Canadian companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages