Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 02:32 PM

184 posts, read 143,958 times

Advertisements

We did a 15 year note and set it up to autopsy biweekly instead of monthly, which basically means we will pay it off in roughly 12 years instead of 15. It sounds like you guys would be fine doing the 15 year note. It's a nice feeling knowing I've got less than 6 years left on my note, and seeing the balance go down so quickly feels great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Ask about a 20 year...just to see if it's something doable with your income(s). Otherwise I would go with the 30 year and pay more towards principal when you are able..some people set up a payment plan for every 2 weeks, which equates to 13 monthly payments annually.

Take the extra income and invest it~increase your contributions to tax shelter or your emergency fund. You never can predict when you might need to add a car payment, reduce work hours or add the expense of daycare for children, or if one person would happen to lose a job and have to spend xx months looking for another. If in 10 years you decide to pay off early, you can either refinance or increase your payments to principal and still end up having had a 15 or 20 year mortgage and money in the bank or retirement investments.

Home ownership can be stressful enough without the feeling of being "house poor" or living in a money pit.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:42 AM

270 posts, read 203,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
Hi all,

First and foremost I LOVE this forum. I've been on here a while now (more of a lurker) but have taken your wonderful advice/tips on life to heart!

My wife and I are purchasing our very first home.

Some quick facts: We are debt free. We live on a budget (every-dollar is a great app!), have no kids, and combined bring a take home pay of ~6100/month on average. We have on estimate about $103k to our name today. Unfortunately, 90k+ is just sitting in a high yields savings account earning a measly 1.05% return. (I know, I know...) But I am in the Wisconsin Retirement System through the hospital I work at, and am contributing 6.8% of my check while my employer matches 8.1% for a total for 14.9% towards retirement.

We purchased a house for $280,000.

We plan on putting down 20%, which will bring our loan amount to $224,000. Our "savings" would subtract to around $44,000.

Met with the mortgage consultant today to discuss mortgages.

Here are the numbers with a 224k loan amount:

30 year @ 4%
1069 Principle / Interest
~70 Insurance
451.68 Property Taxes

1590 Total/month

15 year @ 3.375%
1587 Principle / Interest
~70 Insurance
451.68 Property Taxes

2108 Total/month

Obviously, the 15 year loan would be payed off quicker while saving a butt load in interest, like $100k:

15yr total interest = $61,772

30yr total interest = $160,988

But then again, a 30yr would provide sort of a safety net if something life changing happens (broken down car, etc, baby?, etc). With that said, I was also told there isn't any pre-payment penalty with paying off the 30 year earlier.

So what do you guys think? I'm eager to hear thoughts/advice/criticism(constructive? :-D ).

Thanks guys.
I recently bought my first house. I signed up for a 30 year 4.125%. I put down less than 20% I pay it like a 11 year. I'm hoping when I hit the 20% mark interest rates are lower then I'll probably refi. I did the longer term because I wanted to have cushion from random life events if I needed it. If you're not discipline and don't think you'll actually make the extra payments then just go with the 15 year. I just used an online calculator to figure out what I needed to pay each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages