Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:11 PM

74 posts, read 33,331 times

Advertisements

Seller wants max 60 days after closing before possession.My real estate agent says it's very common.I am concerned about the liability and damage. Any input is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
3 days is common. 60 days? Not common at all and you better see if your lender will even allow that, even if you did want to agree to it.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
That sounds nutty. You own the house, but the previous owner gets to live in it? Are they going to pay rent? How about a security deposit? How about insurance? I believe any mortgage company requires you have insurance in effect at the time of closing, so you are paying to insure the house while they live in it? Are you going to require them to take tenants' insurance? Will your homeowners policy even permit you to rent the house? Do you have a rental contract with them?

Sounds like you need to delay closing until they are out, like 99+++ % of all house sales do.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
Are you certain that was what the agent said? 60 days from contract to closing/possession would be fairly customary.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
60 days post-closing possession?

Have your attorney write the lease if you proceed.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:30 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
I don't know the current "rules" for mortgages, but in the past you needed to be living in the home within a certain time frame for a residential mortgage. Check with your lender.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:32 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I don't know the current "rules" for mortgages, but in the past you needed to be living in the home within a certain time frame for a residential mortgage. Check with your lender.
Commonly 60 days.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 AM

174 posts, read 170,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Have your attorney write the lease if you proceed.
Agree, and I've also had experience that 60 days was the max allowed by a lender, but I'm guessing all may not be the same.

In our market, which has been great for sellers & tough for buyers the last few years, this has become a little more common. The sellers want to sell, but know they are going to have trouble finding a place, so this gives them a little flexibility & cash in their pocket. So when they find the home, they're able to put in an offer with no home sale contingency.

The transactions I've had where this was used successfully consisted of sellers who needed that additional leverage, and buyers who had been dealing with a very competitive market and were willing to allow it just to get the house.

But yes, attorneys wrote up the "Use & Occupancy" contract & spelled out all the terms, including insurance requirements for both sides, who pays what to whom & when, and the date by which the contract ends. I believe they also included a hefty penalty if the seller did not abide by the terms, but don't remember the exact language.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,918,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear09 View Post
Seller wants max 60 days after closing before possession.My real estate agent says it's very common.I am concerned about the liability and damage. Any input is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
It's not common where I live. You didn't say where you live.

Yes, you should be very concerned about liability and damage.

You might consider this if you have only a single offer after a while on a difficult to sell house.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
It isn't common, but it isn't unheard of either. You would have to get landlord insurance for that time period, and you should have a written lease, prepared by your attorney. You should require the seller to get renter's insurance. You should also check with your lender to make sure it isn't a problem, as others have said.

If all of that checks out and you are willing to do it, then you collect the maximum security deposit allowed in your state. If your state doesn't have a max, I'd suggest two month's worth of rent for deposit, which should be enough to cover eviction proceedings if they don't move, as well as a month's rent with a little left for municipal utility bills they didn't pay, since those wouldn't be settled at closing like they usually would be (although I would still want title (or attorney if it is an attorney close state) to verify that municipal utilities were current at time of closing and not behind and on a payment plan.

They should expect to pay over market rate for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages