Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 592 times

Advertisements

I need some serious advice on what to do! I can’t afford to pay these fees, nor are they even valid. Is my landlord able to add more charges after 50 days of us already being moved out? Please help!! Also, keep in mind that this landlord is a real POS to deal with and very very rude and disrespectful. She has had countless reviews also saying this and many people having similar issues to mine once they have moved out.

After moving out of an apartment complex on 7/31/2018 I received a letter in the mail with the deductions from our security deposit 14 days later. Then (with no other form of contact) the landlord sent another list of “Revised Fees” for damages they claim to have noticed afterwards and adding another $400 to our owed amount which totals $900. but I didn’t receive this letter until 50 days after moving out. The letter even shows the postage date as 9/20/18 and we moved out on 7/31/18. The landlord dated the letter itself as 8/22/18. They’re claiming that it’s the post offices fault that it took so long for me to receive the notice. Although they never even called or emailed me to ensure that I had received the second notice. In the meantime, I was emailing the manager in regards to the first notice and we were discussing the fact that they failed to include our refundable pet deposit of $200. She wasn’t even aware of the change in charges until I mentioned it on 9/25 or so. They’re going against Utah law stating that the landlord is required to provide the list of charges within 30 day of moving out. What do I do?
They are now saying that they are going to send this to collections if I don’t pay it but these new revised charges are a joke!
Is the landlord legally able to add additional charges to our move out cost if it isn’t within the 30 days?

Last edited by TinielleC; 11-08-2018 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: I left out some details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 02:39 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
The landlord must send an accounting of your deposit within 30 days...which was done. If additional damages are founds after the first letter was sent, the landlord still has the right to demand payment for the damages he can prove you caused.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:58 PM

23,293 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinielleC View Post
I need some serious advice on what to do! I can’t afford to pay these fees, nor are they even valid. Is my landlord able to add more charges after 50 days of us already being moved out? Please help!! Also, keep in mind that this landlord is a real POS to deal with and very very rude and disrespectful. She has had countless reviews also saying this and many people having similar issues to mine once they have moved out.

After moving out of an apartment complex on 7/31/2018 I received a letter in the mail with the deductions from our security deposit 14 days later. Then (with no other form of contact) the landlord sent another list of “Revised Fees” for damages they claim to have noticed afterwards and adding another $400 to our owed amount which totals $900. but I didn’t receive this letter until 50 days after moving out. The letter even shows the postage date as 9/20/18 and we moved out on 7/31/18. The landlord dated the letter itself as 8/22/18. They’re claiming that it’s the post offices fault that it took so long for me to receive the notice. Although they never even called or emailed me to ensure that I had received the second notice. In the meantime, I was emailing the manager in regards to the first notice and we were discussing the fact that they failed to include our refundable pet deposit of $200. She wasn’t even aware of the change in charges until I mentioned it on 9/25 or so. They’re going against Utah law stating that the landlord is required to provide the list of charges within 30 day of moving out. What do I do?
They are now saying that they are going to send this to collections if I don’t pay it but these new revised charges are a joke!
Is the landlord legally able to add additional charges to our move out cost if it isn’t within the 30 days?
What does any of this have to do with a mortgage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting