Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:47 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times

Advertisements

What is a "Adjustable Rate Home Equity Conversion Second Mortgage" ?.......this is one of the documents I'm trying to understand. Since I've known the FIL, he and his son (passed) have always been story tellers, and since he's getting older, his stories get more unbelievable. He's trying to convince me to "retire early so we can all move south where it is more affordable and telling me he can get us health coverage for $325 a year....month....no year". We do plan on doing this, but when we're ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
What is a "Adjustable Rate Home Equity Conversion Second Mortgage" ?......
Hmmmm......sounds like this is the Reverse Mortgage from what I googled. The amount is about 350K above what the property is worth (500K total), and if he burned thru that to the point where his SS and Pension isn't enough, then somehow we need to get a closer look at whatever it is that he is paying out.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Hmmmm......sounds like this is the Reverse Mortgage from what I googled. The amount is about 350K above what the property is worth (500K total), and if he burned thru that to the point where his SS and Pension isn't enough, then somehow we need to get a closer look at whatever it is that he is paying out.
Yowzers. $500k is more than most people retire on for their entire retirement. I sure hope he didn't burn through that.

Even if he sold the house, sounds like it wouldn't be enough to satisfy the debt.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:52 PM

276 posts, read 231,117 times
hi again.

a hecm is a government insured reverse mortgage.

not sure what you are looking at, but hecm arm liens get recorded at 150% of the appraised value (or max claim amount, whichever is less). you need to look at a monthly statement to determine his actual loan balance.

if the home is underwater the borrower has no personal liability.

do the math. staying in this home with a reverse mortgage and just paying taxes, insurance and maintenance might be a good option. in many cases that is cheaper than paying rent somewhere else.

Last edited by anicon; 12-21-2018 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 12-22-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicon View Post
hi again.

a hecm is a government insured reverse mortgage.

not sure what you are looking at, but hecm arm liens get recorded at 150% of the appraised value (or max claim amount, whichever is less). you need to look at a monthly statement to determine his actual loan balance.

if the home is underwater the borrower has no personal liability.

do the math. staying in this home with a reverse mortgage and just paying taxes, insurance and maintenance might be a good option. in many cases that is cheaper than paying rent somewhere else.
Thank You. From what Documents I could find in County Records, the home was paid in full in 2001, then in 2007 45K was borrowed, 2008 another 55K, then 2011 came the Reverse Mortgage with a Max of 505K...I agree, it's best he stay in place. He tells us between the two of them, there is about 2,500 SS and Pension. Taxes are 3,500.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:04 PM

276 posts, read 231,117 times
Numbers sound about right.

If the recorded reverse mortgage lien is 505K, that means the home appraised for $336,675 when the loan was taken out.

You stated FIL is 85 and took the loan 7 years ago, making him 78-79 at the time of origination.

Using HECM Principal Limit conversion factors from 2011, a 79 year old would have qualified for roughly 65% of the value.

$336,675 x 65%= 219K in available proceeds.

Minus 100K or so that went toward paying off his other mortgages, he could have easily burned thru 130k in cash since the loan was taken out. and have nothing left in the credit line.

Since the servicer wont talk to you, the only way you're going to find out the loan balance is if he shares a monthly statement.

Property taxes are under $300 a month. even with insurance and upkeep, he's never living cheaper anywhere else. Unless he moves in with you

IMHO- If he decides to stay in the home, make sure he catches up on the taxes and insurance ASAP. And then keeps up with them. Lender will foreclose over that. Find out if his spouse is a non borrower, if she is make a plan for her if something were to happen to him. She'll need a new place to live and will most likely be working with substantially less monthly income. Not something she'll want to think about but it's important.

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicon View Post
Numbers sound about right.

If the recorded reverse mortgage lien is 505K, that means the home appraised for $336,675 when the loan was taken out.

You stated FIL is 85 and took the loan 7 years ago, making him 78-79 at the time of origination.

Using HECM Principal Limit conversion factors from 2011, a 79 year old would have qualified for roughly 65% of the value.

$336,675 x 65%= 219K in available proceeds.

Minus 100K or so that went toward paying off his other mortgages, he could have easily burned thru 130k in cash since the loan was taken out. and have nothing left in the credit line.

Since the servicer wont talk to you, the only way you're going to find out the loan balance is if he shares a monthly statement.

Property taxes are under $300 a month. even with insurance and upkeep, he's never living cheaper anywhere else. Unless he moves in with you

IMHO- If he decides to stay in the home, make sure he catches up on the taxes and insurance ASAP. And then keeps up with them. Lender will foreclose over that. Find out if his spouse is a non borrower, if she is make a plan for her if something were to happen to him. She'll need a new place to live and will most likely be working with substantially less monthly income. Not something she'll want to think about but it's important.

Good luck!
Great Info....Thanks....and I told him last night, "If need be, we will make room"......Wife sez "Hell no !"

Old 01-21-2019, 04:47 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Quote:
Great Info....Thanks....and I told him last night, "If need be, we will make room"......Wife sez "Hell no !"
Smart wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages