U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM

58 posts, read 175,775 times

Advertisements

We are trying to purchase our first home. We would like to close once school is out in about 2 months the earliest but before September. Our price range is low as well as our down. Some have suggested a FHA loan because we would be eligible for down/closing cost programs along with the lower interest. IS this a good idea?
Also if it is, should we still apply for preapproval at several institutions?

Finally considering our time frame, when would be the best time to apply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM

105 posts, read 450,459 times
Good luck being a first time homebuyer in this market with the current loan tightening. I too am a first time homebuyer, and actually found that BofA had a really good program with 5% down and no closing costs and PMI. It might not be available in all states, but in CA it still is. Other than that, your best bet is probably FHA with its 3% down. If you are looking to do nehemehiah for the 3% assistance you need to get a good realtor that understands what it is.

I think the best advice I can give you is to save save save, and don't make any late credit cards payments to bring your FICO scores up.

I don't know if there is a best time to apply. In your situation I can only think of those two loans that could possibley work for you. The BofA program is said to be going away soon, but FHA is going to be here for awhile. If FHA is your best bet, the rates don't stray too far from 6% so you don't have to rush to get into that loan.

Obviously housing continues to decline, but to me it seems like it's easing up a bit. Definately count on your downpayment going down the drain if you plan to sell your house this year.

anyways, good luck and whatever you do don't get an adjustable rate mortgage.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM

5,446 posts, read 8,990,768 times
Smile When to apply

90 days prior

Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM

Okay 90 days, can I lock it in for longer if necessary?
I surely don't plan to sell wouldnt buy if I was going to sell the same year. If nothing else but hate moving.
Credit scores are in the low 700. My concern is the mortgage process. I had a family member end up royally screwed because the changed everything at closing. Her fault for signing but she felt pressured. I dont want that., Any suggestions on where to research programs available in certain states, specifically PA. One realtors website stated first time buyers program with a 4.9 fixed rate. No way I believe that but just an example of what is showing up. So confusing!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,477,700 times
if your rate is lower than 5.5% for 90-120 day lock rate...then lock it!

otherwise it's not worth it. You will pay either discount points or with a higher rate.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Okay we went through and approval was good. Definitly going FHA. Next question I know FHA down payment is a standard 2.25% But am I correct that each company can charge whatever for closing costs? In other words should we still shop around for a FHA to compare costs?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM

to compare costs AND to compare rates.

be careful with lenders that charge discount points with an origination fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodeca30 View Post
Okay we went through and approval was good. Definitly going FHA. Next question I know FHA down payment is a standard 2.25% But am I correct that each company can charge whatever for closing costs? In other words should we still shop around for a FHA to compare costs?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 PM

126 posts, read 645,157 times
Ask the lender if they do USDA backed mortgages. I'm going through the paperwork now, and it's not money down and no pmi.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 PM

USDA is for rural...and the home will need to be in a USDA designated area.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM

43 posts, read 103,106 times
Default Fha

FHA is an excellent choice but BE CAREFUL when choosing a mortgage broker

Although FHA guidelines cap the "front end" origination charge, a broker is still free to up sell your interest rate & make alot of money on the "back end" in yield spread premium .. Make sure you ask about YSP, how much it is, and how much higher of an interest you're being "sold" to put more cash in the brokers pocket!!

Banks DO NOT have to disclose YSP on a Good Faith Estimate but any legitimate, honest mortgage lender will tell you the truth .. If you see the YSP listed on the GFE as 0-4% without any actual dollar amount listed to the right of it, STOP - DO NOT SIGN UNTIL THE MORTGAGE BROKER DISCLOSE'S THE ACTUAL DOLLAR AMOUNT! Shady brokers will try to say that it's been disclosed when it fact, it has not been! The DOLLAR amount MUST BE there to be in full RESPA compliance!!

FHA is a great way to go for your situation BUT,,, Caveat Emptor still applies

Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or